best cleaner for cages/ under cages..soil

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by okiemom, Dec 12, 2005.

1. okiemom

okiemom Well-Known Member

What would be a good cleaner for cages besides bleach? I tried cleaning w/ bleach and I bleached me more than I got the cages. :grit: I also than had the rabbitry smelling like bleach w/ amonia (pee). fun. :(

What do I use to clean the cages? I tried the torch but was afraid I was going to torch the rabbit next door.

How often do you clean?

What do you use when the cages are above the soil. I used lime but it only helped the smell for a little while. 5lbs of lime to a 20x 18 area.

Anything I can put down to help the manure compost naturally? Thanks all

has anyone used Vanodine? does it work like it says?

2. rzrubek

rzrubek Flying Z

I only use a torch and try to be very careful about it. I can't say i haven't singed a bit of fur though :eek: . As for odor, i have a enclosed rabbit barn about 8 feet wide and 25 feet long with swamp cooler for cooling/vetilation. I have found that cleaning out the poo every couple of weeks to be the best solution for odor and flies.

3. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

Ditto, same with the torch, it's the best. And then "wire brushes" as well, to scrape off anything that is stuck on. I too have singed some bunnies, but never severely, and they will think twice about going near it again. :)

4. natybear

natybear Well-Known Member

I've never torched, what does this mean exactly and how do I do it?

5. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

I use vinegar a lot. Cleans up the pee and doesn't smell as bad as bleach.

6. rickd203

rickd203 Well-Known Member

This means using a propane torch to burn the nasty stuff off the cage wire.

Okiemom...If you're worried about burning the rabbit in the next cage, You might want to take the rabbit out while you're cleaning. I keep an extra cage for that but you could put it in a pet carrier, milk crate, plastic storage container, or even a cardboard box. I made my cages so that they are separate units and I can easily separate them if I need. I think it is worth the extra effort. I also plan on using the rabbit cages to transport goats when I move. The cages are 24" high so I can transport young goats. I also have two 48" high crates for a couple larger goats.

:cowboy:

7. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

8. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

This is an old post -- and an old problem -- but it is an important one.

I too find vinegar to be the most useful cleaner for rabbit equipment. It naturally neutralizes the ammonia instead of producing toxic fumes as bleach will when mixed with ammonia. (I'm not saying that bleach will necessarily cause a real problem, just that I find vinegar better as an all purpose cleaner.)

Under the cages in an outdoor rabbitry, plain ordinary sawdust is supposed to be the best thing to use. Simply cover the manure with a layer of sawdust whenever it starts to smell. The combination of bunny manure and sawdust should break down into first-rate compost and in the meantime the sawdust suppresses odours.

Hope this is of some help to those who read it.

9. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

Do you clean the cages with the torch from the botton of the cage or inside? Seems that if it could be done from the bottom that it would be easier for me since mine are at least 4 ft. off the ground. Are you getting the wire hot enough to kill germs or mostly removing hair and waste? Does heating the wire effect the galvanize coating on the wire possibly causing it to rust? Thanks. :)

10. rzrubek

rzrubek Flying Z

From the bottom, side, inside, outside however i can get to what needs burnt off. I try not to get the wire excessivley hot, however sometimes you have to in certain spots like their poop corner. For those that don't know, we are using a propane weed burner torch, they sell at harbour freight for about $15-$25.