Best Cheesemaking Book??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Freeholder, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

I want to order a cheese making book as soon as possible, but am having a hard time deciding which one (or possibly two). I have Cheesemaking Made Easy (the original version). Is the new edition better? What about the ones specific to goat milk: The Fabrication of Farmstead Goat Cheese; Goat Cheese: Small Scale Production; and Goats Produce Too!? It seems like it would be easier to work with recipes that were meant for goat milk in the first place, rather than having to adapt cow milk recipes. Anyone have any favorites? Comments on any cheesemaking book?

Thank you!

Kathleen

2. All country

All country Well-Known Member

I have Cheesemaking Made Easy and Goats Produce Too!
    I use Goats Produce Too! the most often. In fact even though both books were bought at the same time Cheesemaking Made Easy looks brand new, my Goats produce Too! is well worn. It is wriiten so that even if you have no prior knowledge you can follow these recipes and make good cheese.

3. Julia

Julia Well-Known Member

Of those three, I'd put _Goats Produce Too_ at the top of the list also, followed by _Fabrication of Farmstead Goat Cheese_ and lastly _Cheesemaking Made Easy_ (because it doesn't).

Mary Jane Toth has a knack for translating complex cheesemaking recipes and concepts into simple instructions that actually work. She won't give you the background you need to successfully move on to other cheeses, but what she does she does well, and it's clear that she really does make cheese, and makes it successfully.

_Fabrication of Farmstead Goat Cheese_ is an excellent book, but only discusses traditional French Chevres, of which there are hundreds but they're mostly soft cheeses---no Cheddar, no Mozzarella, so if that's what you're looking for, you'll be disappointed.

_Cheesemaking Made Simple_ is very well marketed, but is almost academic in that the recipes are taken from other literature, standardized without sufficient detail or hands on experience. From the discussions I've had with the author on the Internet, I don't think she actually makes cheese, I think she markets supplies. Too bad she doesn't write a book about that... That would be worth reading because she does it very well.

Margaret Morris, from Glengarry Cheesemaking Supply, is supposed to have a new book out that's getting good reviews. I haven't read it yet. I do know her video firsthand, and it was excellent, so I have hopes for the book.

Sadly, there is no one book which will give you everything you need to know about cheesemaking, and a lot of really rotten knock off books that only confuse and obscure. Save your money on Barbara Ciletti, Anne Nillsen, Katie Thears or Don Radke's books. IMHO, they are all in that category. FWIW.

4. cybercat

cybercat prowler of the internet

I just picked up a book at borders called Home Chesse Maiking by Ricki Carrol. Recipes for 75 home made cheeses. I have yet to read it all but it is a good book worth getting.

Tamara

5. Julia

Julia Well-Known Member

That's just the reissue of _Cheesemaking Made Simple_, renamed to fool the unobservant. Nothing new.

6. Freeholder

Thank you for your suggestions. I think I will order Goats Produce Too! and plan to get Margaret Morris's book, The Cheesemakers Manual, as soon as I can afford it (it's listed at $35).

Thanks again,

Kathleen

7. Julia

Julia Well-Known Member

Let us know what you think of it when you do, OK?

8. Freeholder

Will do!

Kathleen