Best cheap eatin' out...

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by omnicat, Nov 27, 2006.

1. omnicat

omnicat Well-Known Member

Small, no menus - what's for dinner is what's for dinner.

In other words, whatever Nancy's cooks up is what it is. Wednesday is chicken and noodles day. Big, fat home made noodles. Green beans on the side, with rolls. A choking portion is $5. Half order (which is usually plenty for me) is $2.50. Nothing fancy - just a pile of rib-stickin' food.

Gotta love it. I don't eat out much, and when I do - I usually want something I can't make at home. But this place is different.

Any of you have simple local places like that?

2. omnicat

oh - forgot, mashed potatoes also comes with that...

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

A lot more of these little eating places would do more business like that than they do trying to offer a large fancy menu. It takes GOOD food, DECENT portions, and AFFORDABLE prices to draw a steady trade in these small town places. Serving one item and running a grill and french fryer is plenty. It cuts down of throw outs, and employees.

4. 3ravens

3ravens on furlough-downsized Supporter

We have one of those near my WV place. They have a chalkboard. If it's not a burger, a hotdog, or on the chalkboard, it isn't there!

5. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

We have a little local place kind of like that. They have a few more choices, breakfast all day and a board with 5 or 6 lunch choices. They are only open until 2:00, and closed on Sunday, and the only decor is formica tables and plain vinyl chairs, plus a little shelf running all around the walls with garage sale type knick knacks that go with the seasons. There is only one waitress that I've ever seen. Still, the coffee is good, cheap, and in your cup before you know you want it, and the food is simple and tasty. One day my son and I went for breakfast, and at the table next to us sat the mayor, president of the village council, chief of police and one of the officers, head of the chamber of commerce, and school superintendant. Good thing the place didn't catch fire! The whole village would have quit running!

6. Sabrina

Sabrina Well-Known Member

I think I need a sign in my kitchen that says "What's for dinner is what's for dinner"

Sabrina

7. omnicat

I think I need a sign in my kitchen that says "What's for dinner is what's for dinner"

lol. We had to adopt that as our theme when DD started getting picky. I still think she doesn't understand what would be the big deal about cooking her a completely different meal than the rest of us!

8. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

we had a place like that close to our home. It's in a very small southern town and the name was Doris's. She only served lunch. Opened at 10 and closed at 3 every day. She said she did all the biz she cared to during those hrs each day. The food was simple southern food with limited choices. She was always busy and the place packed at lunch. I sure hated to see her close.
    tyusclan momma

9. omnicat

Nancy's is open from 6am to 2pm, mostly. Cheap breakfasts, simple dinners. Four booths, one table, and a couple loops of counter seats is all that fits in there (long and skinny space). During busy times, you can't monopolize a table - strangers will sit with you. and of course, it's cash only.

It's been there for at least 30 years. Hope it keeps going. I love the place.

10. hunter gatherer

hunter gatherer Well-Known Member

When I lived in Atlanta, I frequented a place called EATS that had a similar approach. This place was only open for lunches, had absolutely no decor, but served fabulous cheap food. It started out as mainly a neighborhood joint but got so popular that there would be a line of "suits" out the door on busy days.

With all of the choices one has to make every single day, there's something refreshing about letting someone else decide " What's for dinner".

I really miss going to EATS!

11. SweetSarah

SweetSarah Well-Known Member

Anyone from Indianapolis heard of Harold's Steer Inn? It's been here since my parent's went "cruisin'" in the 50's and 60's. Peyton Manning did a commercial there about a year ago. He was saying, "De-Caf! De-Caf!" Ring a bell?
    Anyway, they are only open breakfast and lunch and serve good steerburgers, chili, grilled cheese, and tons of other homemade specialities. And all for pretty decent prices too. It doesn't hurt that I live oh about 30 steps from the front door. (Our house backs up to it.:) Lucky us!)

12. heather

heather Well-Known Member

noodles AND mashed potatoes?!

yuck

13. Cara

Cara Well-Known Member

Heather,
    My Grandma always serves mashed spuds with her homemade noodles! I usually just eat the spuds :) but I think it's an older generation thing.

14. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

We have several of these little 'mom and pop' type places around here but we have one that's with-in walking distance of our house. Every Friday is fish day. It's buffett =all you can eat. They have three types of fish, oysters, shrimp, oyster stew and clam chowder. Six veggies (they change w/ the season) and a fruit cobbler,banana pudding and a little 'salad bar', drinks w' free refills for $7.00+tax. Makes it hard to cook on Fridays.... :shrug: Queen Bee

15. Jan in CO

Jan in CO Well-Known Member Supporter

I think the noodles on mashed potatoes is a country thing, maybe regional. I NEVER heard of, or saw it until marrying my hubby. When I think of it, you could probably fill up a family of teenagers with little expense using mashed potatoes covered with noodles in a meat gravy with just a bit of meat, a veggie or salad and rolls or bread. Lots of carbs, but it would leave them full and ready to work the farm!

Jan in Co

16. cwgrl23

cwgrl23 Chief Vegtable Grower :) Supporter

That is how my Grandma fed 10 kids on a ranch in western SD. Everything was homemade or homegrown! You could make 1 chicken feed 12+ people and nobody went away hungry! That is my favorite way to eat chicken & noodles! I still cook it this way! My DH and MIL look at me strange but that is nothing new :shrug:

Carrie in SD

17. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

I've eaten noodles with mashed potatoes my whole life. My mother's mother made them too, so I'm wondering if it is an Appalachian thing. For your noodles, take 1 cup of flour with a bit of salt mixed in, make a well in the center, break an egg in it, and beat it in with a fork. Roll the dough thin, cut into noodles with lots of flour between layers. Spead the noodles out on the counter to dry for awhile, then drop into boiling chicken broth. Bring to a rolling boil, cover, turn of the heat, and let them sit until you get you potatoes made (maybe 20 minutes). When the noodles are done, they are in a gravy from the broth and flour, and you serve them over the potatoes. We eat them with fried chicken. Try it, you'll like it! My husband is Polish, and had never heard of such a thing when we met, but now it's one of his favorite dishes. Sorry about the thread drift!

18. swampgirl

swampgirl Well-Known Member

We have a great, inexpensive, barbeque restaurant, about 10 miles from our home in Livingston, LA., called Wayne's. Open for lunch & supper. For $6.99 you get a big dinner plate with choice of meat(pork, ribs, brisket, chicken) with two sides(the usuals). With big piece of toast. If you get a drink it's free refills. I got the pork plate last night, ate all I could, & brought home enough pork for two nice sandwiches for lunch today. Yummy!....I'd better get off this puter & go do my work so I can have lunch early today.

19. omnicat

Thanks for that noodle recipe Meilssa! I'm definitely trying that!!

20. Crystal H

Crystal H Well-Known Member

My Fave place around here is Mom's.. my mom's ..it's free except for the kiss at the door and the her grandbabies (9, 11 yo's) LOL

There are no good places around here other than homecooked.
    I wish there were.