Best cellphone and provider

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by centexguy, Apr 7, 2006.

1. centexguy

centexguy Well-Known Member

My phone got ran over yesterday so I need a new one. Mine was an old nokia 51xx something on at&t. My phone service has been really lousy lately and Im thinking of switching companies. Whats a tough phone and good plan for just south of Waco TX area? Having a cellphone has saved me lots of gas, animals and wasted trips I really miss having one. I use around 3-400min per month and the free long distance was great for calling my folks. Anybody got any good recommendations tips...

2. ChiliPalmer

ChiliPalmer Well-Known Member

We use T-Mobile and have no land line. Two phone numbers, nationwide plan, free long distance, free nights and weekends, I think something like 2000 minutes: $88. All our friends and family (pretty much all our calls) are long distance, so we could never have a landline this cheaply.

3. Oceanrose

Oceanrose Driftin' Away

I've had Verizon for several years - unlimited calling to other VZW people, unlimited nights adn weekends, and no roaming. I get great signal in.

As for phones, I've had both Motorolla and LG. Right now I have the latest LG model. I LOVE it, it holds a charge, is comfy to talk on, clear, and has a decent camera phone. I can also access the internet over it, for an additional charge, which, when I'm traveling I do to check e-mail, mapquest or weather. The Motorollas, none that I've ever used have charged WHILE you're talking on them. For most that might not be an issue, for me it is.

4. morrowsmowers

morrowsmowers Well-Known Member

We went with Tracfone. No contracts, reasonable prices on phones, only pay for minutes that you use and won't loose. You can check them out on www.tracfone.com. If you buy one of their phones and activate on the internet you will get 20 free minutes. If you are interested let me know and I can send you a referral that will give you an additional 100 free minutes. My current phone is have over one year of service time on it and about 1200 minutes remaining. I'm lucky if I use 45 minutes in a month. My son, on the other hand, uses about 250-350 per month on his.

Ken in Glassboro, NJ
    ;)

5. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

Location location location. Best cell phone is one that works where you need it to work. You need to know the coverage area for the provider in your area.

6. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I am also in the south of Waco area. We have been very happy with our Cingular service. DH's phone costs us about $60/month, with additional phones $10/month. Shared minutes are free(to any Cingular phone), as are nights and weekends. We also share our minutes and get roll-over minutes. We have never used all our minutes since we have been on this plan, and get good service most places. There are a few low spots on the road between here in Kansas where it will cut out, but not for long.
    My phone is a Sony Ericsson, which I have also been very pleased with.
    Funny thing, we quit AT&T to get the Cingular phones, and now we are billed by AT&T again (but we are getting a much better deal than our original one with them.)
    mary

7. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member Supporter

I like Altell. If you do any traveling the national plan is great. No long distance and not roaming. You can also call home free. I was traveling all over the US and had very few dead spots. Mostly in the mountains.

8. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

I use [or should I say that I try to use] Verizon.

It is horrible.

They promised that when we moved it would work great. they lied. the phone is fine, but Verizon does not go into Maine, it stops at the borders.

I have to drive 30 minutes into the city to get a 'extended roaming' signal.

Or I have to drive three hours South to get to Verizon signal, to operate without roaming and to use their * codes.

I have complained, but unless I want to violate the contract and pay the fine here I am.

Want to hear a cool cellphone message?

860-917-7360

Better yet, does anyone know personally a lying slimy Verizon rep? Ask them to call their stupid cellphone. they can hear about the effects of their lying and deceit.

:)

9. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I meant to mention mine has free nation-wide calls. Eldest can even call his girlfriend in Alaska free.
    mary

10. ET1 SS

When I drive into the city and get a little signal, I my calls are 'free'.

We have 300 minutes each month. but I have never been 'in signal' long enough to use the phone for a full 300 minutes in a given month. If I am driving on the freeway and just happen through a Verizon signal area, I can only be in the area for a few minutes and then out again.

A year now and we have never paid for any minutes of cellphone usage. We have never gone over the 300 minutes they included into our package.

I did find a spot where I can park the car, and get a full three bars of signal. From there I can make phone calls out of state. It is on the other side of Bangor, and out of town just to the West.

11. ChickenTracy

ChickenTracy Well-Known Member

I have a tracfone & although I wouldn't recommend it for the amount of time you'd need. 400 minutes could get expensive depending on what your current plan cost. I was able to talk to my DS back home in WV standing on the bridge at Niagra falls last July with it & he was crystal clear! Long distance calls uses 2 minutes of time for each minute talked compared to 1 minute locale. But, I have never been anywhere that my tracfone has cut out on me.

12. amelia

amelia Well-Known Member

Am I the only one that is floored by this kind of price tag? I recently checked with Verizon, and its cheapest plan runs $39 per month--which together with fees, taxes and surcharges, ends up being at least $50 per month whether or not the phone is used at all. There's got to be a better way.

13. ET1 SS

Very true. And you pay month after month, even if you get no signal, or such a low signal that most calls are dropped.

14. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Yep id have to say Cingular to since it seems you have it in your area.Here they have the whole area covered.And looks like they want the hole US covered as well.:D
    We lived in a little hole where we didn't get very good signal strength for a while.Coupled with my temper i went through a lot of phones. :rolleyes:
    While i can say Nokia is a very strong phone and even the flip phone will take a heck of an impact.(See bouncing off a car hood when it dropped a call).LOL
    Id have to recommend the LG phones for there range,all round functions and clarity when talking.They would also be cheaper to replace when they drop you insurance.(See above temper LOL.) I forget the model i have now its either a 1300 flip phone or what they replaced the 1300 line up with this year.My step father has the next one up which is there camera phone both are exceptional.I dont think ill need this one replaced any time soon.

15. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

We have US Cellular; not the greatest but they are putting a new tower up about 10 miles away so our dead zone should be cured. Wouldn't have one at all if it weren't for my out of town job everyweek. Just trying finding a payphone anymore. Has proved its' worth with several breakdowns but gee, think they could cost alot less than they do. Since we live in the boonies there are none of those bundled deals like in town. DEE

16. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

Does any one know if any of the providers have t.v., high speed internet, and phone all on the satellite. If you can access the internet, and down load stre aming videos, why couldn't it be for T.V.???

17. btai

btai Well-Known Member

Consumer Reports did a test of all major cities and Verizon had the best service in *every* city. Though it doesn't necessarily mean it's the same in the country...

18. MomOf4

MomOf4 Well-Known Member

We have verizon, and are happy - we have been with them for 4 years now. They are helpful, and solve problems immediately (usually). We did have an $800 bill one month, because they had accidentally billed us at regular rates to call each other, and on nights and weekends, but they promptly corrected the bill.

I run my business from my cell, so we have 4,000 minutes a month, and it's free to call each other, and with 3 phones (one for DH, one for me, and one for kids so they can call us for free, or take when they go with friends), it costs $250 - all a business write off since the calls to each other are free.

We are in central indiana, and there are very few dead zones. They do have spots on their coverage map that don't have service, so look at the service area map before you buy.

19. ET1 SS

And ask questions, and don't beleive what the Verizon salesman says.

20. Wildtim

Wildtim Well-Known Member

Go to Best Buy or circut city and look at all the plans and coverage maps, by th way you'll probably need a salesman to find them all for you, go get a store person because there is usually a comany rep standing right there to tell you how their Co. plans, coverage is the best weather it is or not. I was once gauranteed that a cingular phone would cover me anywhere in MI only to look at the map and see a huge hole right over the area I was in when told this!!! all company reps work on at least a bonus for sales or commission basis.

Once you have found the best coverage for you call around prices and plans vary from store to store, my Sprint phone was a great deal at Radio Shack but at the Sprint store or Best Buy they were much more than I ended up paying.