Best Calling Card??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by JV, Sep 12, 2004.

1. JV

JV Well-Known Member

So what is the best (meaning cheapest) calling card out there? I am looking for one to use from the land line with no silly things like connection fee. Thanks for the help.

2. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Onesuite.com---2.9 cents a minute, refill on line or by phone. This is how we got a handle on long distance as my DH is on the township road board and our bills were outrageous until we seperated them out with this card. Now we have dropped our long distance and have an account for us,too....no more monthly surprizes on the phone bill! Walmart has a pretty cheap card and they have dropped the prices on them lately. But you can use the onesuite at any phone. We have used this service about 8 mos. and very satisfied. DEE

3. bare

bare Head Muderator

4. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i'm very happy with bigzoo.com. very similar in use to onesuite. a $20 charge lasts m 3 months. been a customer a couple of years now. way cheaper than bellsouth. only disadvantage, to both of them, is there is a 75 cent surcharge if you use a pay phone.

5. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

I use a card I got from Sam's originally for about 3 cents a minute. Costs 45 cents extra on a pay phone...which I use fairly often. Rechargeable by phone as well.

6. bergere

bergere Just living Life

I use the Costco card at 2.9 cents a minute. A nice bonus is you can recharge the card.

7. breezynosacek

breezynosacek Well-Known Member

I've had some bug that my husband gave to me and I know I'm not feeling well but when I first saw the title I'm thinking of the 'calling cards' the ladies use to leave at homes back in Victorian times.

I'm thinking 'wow, they're bringing those back again? I'm just finding out about it?'

I think I need to go back to bed! :haha:

8. BooBoo

BooBoo Member

we use mci card fromm costco, has fee for payphone, and over seas but does the job for us and is rechargeable. Has lasted a few months so far...beats having to pay a min of $5.00 a month at the phone bill for not making calls or not making enough calls.

9. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

The best one is the one thats best for you. Your calling patterns and where you call can affect what card is good or not. If you only make a few calls then they are often not worth the time.

Dont overlook upgrading a cellular plan for free LD. Might be cheaper than adding another plan.

Also know the terms of a calling card. A card that doesnt roll over at the end of the month has a lot less value than one thats good for several months.

10. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    If your in the east; usadatanet.com no monthly charges, available at pay phones or your land line, unlimited talk time for $1.50 per call, yes unlimited time, hours for $1.50, $2.00 for Canada. They also offer internet access, I am not connected with this company other than happy user. If you chose to go with them my number is 663784 for the referance, I get one free call. Phone them at 877 499 2368.

If your callingstyle is long conservations this is the best way to go in my opinion.

11. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

I'm so Victorian :no: ! I was honestly confused by this post and couldn't figure out why a calling card would have a connection fee, since it is a small card left to mark a vistor's stop in your absence.

Oh.. calling card! :rolleyes: well duh!

I really have to get more with the times.... :eek:

12. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Be aware some local phone companies wont let you not have a long distance company of record or if they do, they charge you a monthly fee for the priviledge of not having long distance. The prepaid cards dont count.

Not all that easy to find a company that doesnt have a monthly fee even if you dont make any long distance calls on it. I finally found one that paid me $50 and I never did make a call. The company went out of buisiness, but my phone company never hassled me about it again. Dont know what things would be stirred up if somebody forgot and direct dialed a long distance call from my phone at this stage.

By way I use onesuite.com. $10 tends to last me about six months. Couple times I had to request extra time to use up the minutes. Cant argue with that although be nice if I only had to buy $5 at a time.

13. Janon

Janon 993cc Geo Metro

I have a Vonage.com VOip phone (voice over IP). For $15 per month, I get:
    - 500 minutes anytime/anywhere in U.S. or Canada
    - voice mail
    - caller ID with name
    - call forwarding
    - call waiting
    - no contract
    - a phone number in any available area code
    - can call anyone on the same service for free (no minutes), anywhere in the world

If you use over $15 per month worth of long distance, and have high-speed internet, a VOip phone may save you some money. For $30 per month, you can get unlimted long distance anywhere in U.S. Canada

cheers,

14. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

breezynosacek & Morriscorner:

I thought the same as y'all and was thrilled to see an old custom being resusicated.....I'm so technologically handicapped! I was thinking I could print my calling cards on the puter....and I have no bug to blame my deluded thinking on!

15. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Well-Known Member Supporter

I simply dial 10-10-297 then 1+ area code and number.

It is .03 cents a minute, and no monthly charge to do it. The only downside is that if you call and get a machine, it charges you $0.39 cents. But I think it is much easier than keeping track of a phone card.

Tracy