Best Bulb Source?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by jillianjiggs, Aug 5, 2004.

1. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

What's the best bulb source? I know I can buy your basic bulbs at Wal-Mart, but the selection isn't the best. If I can find a good source that's relatively inexpensive, I'll be set.

2. Rivka

Rivka Well-Known Member

I use a combo of sources to get my bulbs, some have one type cheaper than others
    I use Brecks
    Brent and Becky's
    Colorblends (for the color challenged like me)

They have better bulbs that are likely to come up that wall mart or Home depot I found.

3. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Jungs has some really good deals on bulbs,too and we've always had great sucess with their products....this year I bought some pkgs. of lily bulbs at Wallyworld....went to plant and they were moldy,yuck,planted them anyhow and have had beautiful lililes from every bulb this summer...surprize surprize!! So I learned to take a chance on something I figured wouldn't amount to anything. We plant in big pots as our Corgi thinks bulb digging is her job. Bad dog. DEE

4. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

Yeah...I had some freesia from there and although I planted about 50 bulbs I probably got 5 that came up and flowered. The irises I planted didn't even get that far. I bought paperwhites from Sam's Club though, and all but a couple out of the 50 came up and flowered.

5. bantams

bantams Well-Known Member

I recommend John Scheepers. Huge selection, good prices (compared to other places like them), and the biggest bulbs I've ever seen!

Consumer Reports magazine did a report on bulb suppliers several years ago, and JS rated the highest for price, selection, and quality.

http://www.johnscheepers.com/