Best Breed?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Stacy Adams, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Stacy Adams

Stacy Adams Well-Known Member

Doing some research before getting some pigs, maybe next spring, and was wondering what were some good breeds to handle our Texas heat? We're interested in fencing off a few acres for them, lots of woods and a few ponds.. something that doesn't need AC. :)
    thanks!

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

If they have shade and water to get into any pig can do just fine in your heat. A skinny pig can stand heat better than a fat one. Kinda like people. White pigs tend to sunburn badly, and for that reason a red or black pig would have the advantage. I would recommend Durocs or Hampshires, but the difference between them and any other common domestic breed is not great. Being sure they are healthy is the most important consideration.

3. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

You also need to take into account, the size of the animal, how much time you will be spending with them, are you going to be butchering them yourself, there are a lot of variables. I planned on doing the whole thing and so raise potbellies for meat, I can handle butchering one by myself without heavy equipment.

4. Stacy Adams

Stacy Adams Well-Known Member

Thanks Uncle Will, I actually saw and old "for sale" sign at a new feed store that I went to this evening. They sold Duroc's...
    GeorgeK, no I don't plan on doing it myself, heck, I had to get someone else to do the chickens! :waa: there is a local butcher that I will be taking 'em too, thought I have to admit I never thought of pot-bellies.. hmmmm, food for thought, thanks guys, I needed that!! :) :) :)