Best breed for good beef

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by carly, Jul 9, 2006.

1. carly

carly on winged flight...

I am interested in a beef steer but know little about the best breeds for producing good tender beef and good weight. Suggestions?

2. bumpus

bumpus Well-Known Member

Black Angus or Black Angus crossed with another beef breed

3. commomsense

commomsense Beef,Its whats for dinner

Black angus or herfords.

4. john in la

john in la Well-Known Member

For NY I would suggest a Angus or a Angus cross also.

Now if you lived down south or in a dryer climate I would tell you to get something with more ears on it than a angus.

5. Bercado

Bercado Well-Known Member

I don’t think that it matters that much. Angus have a nice fat content and take on weight quickly. They are good for the purpose of getting to market, but as far as taste goes, once the animal is slaughtered, there are several other things that matter to the taste. Such as…what they have been fed, stress, how they were butchered. I am sure there are others.
    My point is don’t worry too much about the breed. When you are eating it other things will matter more than the breed.

6. Carrie C

Carrie C Well-Known Member

Wasn't there a post that went pretty much breed by breed and rated them?
    And didn't it say that Jersey cattle ranked right up there if it hadn't been that they are small?
    Anyone know where that post went? I'd love to see it again.
    ~Carrie C.

7. Carrie C

Carrie C Well-Known Member

Hi, again. I found the list in the Consolidated Sticky list.
    It's Comparative Rating of Cattle Breeds for Beef (1974)
    You'll find it in the sticky list.
    I was right about the Jersey!
    ~Carrie C.
    P.S.~ I've heard Jersey x beef breed crosses are great!

8. Firefly

Firefly Well-Known Member

How about Dexters for flavor?

9. idontno

idontno Well-Known Member

holstien/angus cross.Finger lickin good........idontno

10. blue gecko

blue gecko Well-Known Member

A friend's dad was determined to raise good tasting beef. In fact it was his obsession! His herd was Italian Piedmontese and Galar Cattle. He passed on several years ago and his son has taken up the banner. He felt he was not getting enough grass/meat ratio so he introduced Longhorn to the herd. Result "T-Bone" a real beauty destined for my table sometime this fall. I can hardly wait.
    While Angus is really tasty, I've got to admit that Beefmaster so far is tastier. The only thing about them is they are fatty errr well marbled. The really bad thing about that is the fat tastes GOOD. I could feel my arteries clogging.
    I've never been impressed with the dairy/meat crosses for flavor or tenderness but that doesn't mean some mixes are better than others...the ones I've eated were of unknown lineage but beef/dairy. B

11. Gideon's War

Gideon's War Well-Known Member

If you had to choose between an angus vs. hereford, which way would you go and why?

12. bumpus

bumpus Well-Known Member

As far as eating both breeds are just about the same.

The best cross breed is a Herford x Angus cross called a black baldy.

If you want to raise one and sell it, the angus will cost more to buy when young, and sell for more when ready for sale.

The Herford cost less to by young and sells for less at sale time.

In compairson.

They both make you about the same profit if feed the same, and are the same size.

bumpus

13. Gideon's War

Gideon's War Well-Known Member

No difference in handling (i.e. one is better calfer and/or one has this trait which is way better than that)?

14. Patt

Patt Well-Known Member

Well I'm partial to my Highlands myself. :) The Highland Dexter crosses this year look like they are going to be the best of both breeds though. If you're going for a sale barn calf I would go with one of the black baldies or angus type blacks that you see so often. If you're going to raise them I would say it's like the best milk cow heresy thread, there are so many more factors involved in picking your own favorite breed. :)

15. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member

For beef there really is no other choice than angus. They are good calvers, meat is exceptional, docile and good resale value. Baldies are another great option.

16. NWMO

NWMO Well-Known Member

I find the "certified" Angus beef that I have purchased from local producers is tops! Really have not had a bad cut! Ditto with prior butcherings of Hereford. All were heavily grain fed......however, I am now going to explore the grassfed market and give it a try with the next beef that goes into the freezer.

17. crowinghen

crowinghen Well-Known Member

We've raised straight Herefords and a ShorthornXHereford- both were delicious, but the Shorthorn cross was younger and more tender. He was strictly grass-fed, the Hereford was grained out at the end, but next time we won't bother, just make sure they are young.

The Herefords we've had have been really docile- not fence breakers.

Susie

18. brierpatch1974

brierpatch1974 Well-Known Member

well not sure how they will taste but this year I am going to cross my herefords with a black brangus and see how it turns out. Plus the brangus belongs to a friend and I don't have to pay anything for the breeding so this help me out. Hope it turns out ok will have to wait and see.

BP