Best Bow for hunting Deer?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by AllWolf, Oct 18, 2006.

1. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

It is deer hunting season here with bows but I haven't decide on what to purchase yet. I have been still reading on type of rifle to get later for deer hunting. I right now still been hunting squrriels or them crazy varmits that loves trees.. :) I've got to get me a tree stand found one for 200 bucks but not sure 100% yet what tree I'm going to put it in because it will withstand me and my DD and it will have a shed over it so can sit up there for hrs on end. If not hunting at least can go and get away from it all later. What bow do lots of you all use for deer hunting?

I've got 3 buddies coming down this evening to tell me what they use for deer hunting. :)

2. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

Right now I have a Mathews. Have had a couple of Dartons in the past and one that is now made by Darton. Name forgotten right now.
    Find a dealer with a indoor range and try a few bows to find one that fits you and feels good in your hands. That gives you a way to also check out the dealer and see if they will work with you or just try to sell you what they want to sell.

:D Al

3. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

Pro line was the other bow made by Darton now.
    My proline was over 20 years old when I decided I needed some thing newer. No proline dealer with in 50 miles in 2001 when I did replace the proline with a Mathews. A good shooting bow and a great dealer who took the time to set the bow up for me.

:D Al

4. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

Well my buddies came down lastnight and I asked them what they are using to hunt deer with and they are using a compound bow. I'm going to go hunting with them maybe this weekend and shoot the bow. I have shot them years ago so now is my chance again to use one. I've been looking online where to get a compound bow and may get one from Cabela's. I have bought stuff from them before and very please with them. I'm also looking into getting a 270 I think is what it is from another place.

5. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Mathews is a very good Bow.Main thing is not to try drawing too much,40# Draw will kill anything.I've seen lots of Deer killed with 50# Draw.

If it was me I would go to a Local Archery Shop and have them set you up.They will be there for any adjustments or repairs you may have.

big rockpile

6. WildBillTN

WildBillTN Well-Known Member

Not to try and throw a wet blanket on your plans....but if deer season is already started and you haven't even bought a bow, I do not advise that you hunt archery this season. Without practice you will wound one and it will die a slow painful death and you will lose the meat. Have enough respect for the animal to prepare yourself by practicing with your weapon so that you can make a killing shot.
    Most bow hunters practice all year, or at least get started in the summer prior to the season. And heed the good advice already offered to get an archery pro shop to set you up.
    Get yourself a rifle, start practicing now and go get 'em when gun season opens! Good luck!

7. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Unless youve owned a bow before its NOT good to buy one from a catalog. Bows are very personal weapons in that they have to FIT each individual. You need to go somewhere that sells them so you can find out what draw length is right for you. Also, as to weight, most compounds are adjustable over a certain range. Most states have minumums for deer hunting, so if you cant pull the minumum you'd just be wasting your money. After you find out what size and weight you can handle THEN you could order one. The brand is not all that important as long as YOU can shoot it well

8. bargarguy

bargarguy Well-Known Member

Yup what he said

9. jross

jross swamper

Yup too. Nothing burned me more than one or two guys coming in the night before opening day to have their bows checked out and components installed. One guy came in to have his arrows shortened. All six arrows were bent, and when I refused to cut them he said now he knew why he was missing, or wounding?. Just what the anti hunters need. Archery muscles have to be conditioned in order to get that shot off after being motionless for some hours.

10. elkhound

elkhound Well-Known Member Supporter

guys not sure what kind of set up you using but if you use a release with sights and a peep sight you have no problem.you never need to practice for hours....i shoot a bow with only 3 sight pins.well i hadnt shot my bow for about 4 years....well i picked it up a few days ago and the third shot i was drilling it dead center.....a bow properly set up is the same as a rifle that is sighted in........just my 2 cents

unless you shoot traditional or primitive bows then you need to practice alot

allwolf get your buddies to get you set up....get them to go with you to buy your gear and then have them there to help set it all up for you.....they will put you in the game fast that away....good luck

11. Bret

Bret Well-Known Member Supporter

Get what you want and can afford. You can buy something cheap and used if you invest more in practice and skill.

Go shoot some arrows. If you can group pretty good at 10-15 yards, then go hunting and have fun. But limit your hunting shots to that distance for a while.

Only a little of archery hunting success is about shooting the bow properly. More is about being quiet, still and patient. Practice getting within 10 yards of deer. You can have fun doing this without any weapon. Listen and feel your heart beat.

12. jross

jross swamper

You are right to a point. Most can consistently shoot the same if their bow is set up properly, especially shooting from the ground. Unfortunately that is not the norm, bows age, strings stretch, knocking points move, joints get older and loosen, muscles weaken, and one is expected to draw and hold after a few hours getting stiff in the stand. Throw in colder weather, bulkier clothing, gummier lube, awkward shooting positions, then conditioning is paramount. I shoot about ten shots a day, wait between shots, sometimes 30 minutes, sometimes 3 minutes. The only shot that counts is always that first one. If one hunts in January, those strengthened back muscles from frequent shooting will come in handy.

13. LindaVistaFarm

LindaVistaFarm Well-Known Member

At my age I have used bows from recurve to the most advanced compounds. They all kill deer. In this day and age the super high tech bows take away a little from the whole idea of bow hunting. My favorite all time bow was a 70# Fred Bear that I shot by way of "snap shooting". I killed numerous deer with that bow along with a couple of Black Bears. I killed many ground hogs and coons also. With these type of bows you really have to be an archer, not just sighteing with a sight or something. "Snap shooting" is somewhat like throwing a baseball. You don't actually aim you think or feel the arrow to the target. Like throwing a baseball, you see the target and throw the ball without aiming. With "snap shooting" you look at the target and shoot knowing that you will hit your target. We used to kill phesant with long bows in the 45# range. Now I don't even own a bow. These new "star wars" bows take the skill and fun from being an archer. By the way, anyone out there make long bows anymore? I want a 6' with a draw of about 50lbs. If anyone makes these anymore PM me please. Reading this has got me longing for a long bow again. :hobbyhors

Johnny

14. jross

jross swamper

I have a star wars Browning bow and just a few minuts ago two bucks came past me and just disappeared into the understory. I wonder why my star wars bow just didn't home in on em and fire itself. Seriously, it doesn't matter what you shoot, getting the shot is paramount, and I am still wondering where the heck they went. One was a shooter, at least six points. Small rack though, management buck.

15. LindaVistaFarm

LindaVistaFarm Well-Known Member

LOL, I just got back from the Gander Mt store. Man they have some pretty impressive bows. Some over $600.00. I also found a long bow by Fred Bear (55#) pretty reasonable. Couldn't pass it up. Guess I am going bow hunting this year after all. Gotta get out some hay bales and get some practice in. You guys got the bug back in me. Well, I blamed it on all of you to my wife anyway. Actually, I was looking for a reason. Too bad on the deer. You will get them next time.. If not, heck, just getting outdoors is worth the effort. :hobbyhors

Johnny

16. True2Spirit

True2Spirit Well-Known Member

EXACTLY what he said.....

17. bargarguy

bargarguy Well-Known Member

I may be out of the ordinary on this but I could never hit with a release, or peep sights. Maybe because I grew up with out them and I just plain don't care for them, I know a lot of guys swear by them but I don't think I will ever use one again. Give me the ole fashion shooting style any day.

18. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

Get a good seasoned hickory stave, whittle out a decent self-bow, cut some sourwood or ozier dogwood sprouts, make some arrows, buy a few turkey poults to grow for fletching, grind out some steel arrowheads, practice with it until you never miss, and by the time next season rolls around you'll be ready; you'll also have the best bow for hunting deer.

It really is too late to buy any sort of bow to take afield this season.

19. huntress4203

huntress4203 alias mullinaxclan

I shoot a Hoyt. There are lots of good ones out there, you'll just have to find one that suits you. Find your draw length and go from there. Go to an archery shop and try a few different ones. You'll know "your" bow by feel. I would suggest a peep and sights though. I'm a better shot with my bow than I am my rifle and prefer to use it. I have switched back to aluminum arrows from carbon arrows though. Lost a doe this year because of them. Perfect shot but I watched her bound away with the arrow flapping. Too much flex in them for my taste. I want to kill on the first shot not just wound it. I also went back to a cut on contact broadhead and no bone breaker on the end. Of course this is all personal preference.

Glo

20. GREENCOUNTYPETE

GREENCOUNTYPETE Moderator Staff Member

I think with a moth of daily parctice he would be more than set and i don't know about the rest of you but Wisconsin bow season is open till jan 31 thats over 2 moths of hunting after he gets a bow and practice i have a force by proline it is about 15 years ols and still fine the most important thing to me is that what ever you shout it it is accurate concistent and quiet and that it fits you .my next bow will be a mathews they are fast my draw is 70# but i am a big with a 32 inch draw my arrows easton xx75 34 inch fly about 210 feet per second . out of a mathews they wuold likly be more like 280+

the most important thing is that you get a quiet bow wthat fits you that you can be acurate with a good bow with some practaice you should be consistanly inside 3 inches at 30 yards then good luck getting the deer to under 45 yards and mark your distances from the tree stand even if you just know what tree is how far this makes a difference because everything looks different from a tree stand

i once shot a nice buck with a 30-06 from a tree with a scope it looked like i was right on top of it , it was't till i got down and started walking that i realized he was nearly 100 yards out good thing he fell on the spot

good hunting