Best batteries and charging equipment?

Discussion in 'Alternative Energy' started by RipVanArkie, Jan 16, 2007.

1. RipVanArkie

RipVanArkie The Rusty Ewe

With the cost of electricity rising and the construction of a new home in the near future I am trying to design a battery bank, PV system etc. that will be good for say 1500 kwh per month. I believe we can get our usage down that far or even lower with new home.
    I need suggestion all the way around on this system. Efficient panels, batteries and misc. equipment in between.
    TIA

2. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

3. Jim-mi

Jim-mi Well-Known Member

You are opening the gates for "thirteen' different opinions.
    And some will be way off track.

Best to find an installer in your neck of the woods and sit down for some long yap yap sessions.

If I told you my opinion of the "best" batterys I can just hear your answer___"But I don't have $10,000 to spend on *just* the batterys-----I thought I would have a complete system for less that 10,000".

The installer will find out in a hurry which ball park your in; The $79.95 truck stop inverter . . .or the good stuff.

4. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

The latest portion of my PV/wind system is set up and metered seperately from the wind generator and other PVs, so I can tell you quite accurately that I get almost 6kw-hrs a day from a PV array rated at 1.5 kilowatts peak output. (12 kyocera KC125 panels). That is about 175kw-hrs a month, so to power the 1500 kw-hrs a month that you are looking at would take over 102 panels of equivalent output (12,750 watts peak output or so) at about $4.50 a watt, or about $57,000 in PV panels alone, without wire, controls, mountings, batteries or inverter. I have about $4,000 invested in my battery, which gives me 1 to 3 days storage, depending on the wind, sun, and my actual usage. With your usage, you would need a much bigger battery.

I think that if you want a solar powered home, you need to do some serious load reduction.

5. mightybooboo

WisJim,I dont get your math,if you get 175 kw/hrs a month from 2 panels,wouldnt 10 times that be 1750 kw/hrs a month with 20 panels?

Never mind,I see it,the peak rating vrs actual output,correct?Obviously Im really confused. :help:

BooBoo :gromit:

6. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

Booboo to help alittle---------he said he is getting 175kw/hrs a month from 12 --125 watt panels ---------the other guy wants 1500kw/hrs a month--- which is over 8 1/2 times more---meaning he would need a little over 100--125 watt panels. Hope this helps. Randy

7. mightybooboo

Oh,its a typo! !2 panels vrs 12 panels. :doh:

Makes sense,Thanks Randy.

8. RipVanArkie

To begin with, I count ALL up front costs in efficiency as money invested in my retirement. I am cutting the labor and lumber cost of building the new home by harvesting timber from my property and helping a group of like-minded guys build their homes. So, the most expensive aspect of building will be the solar power, again I see that expense as adding to my retirement fund.

Booboo I'm reading as much HomePower as I can get!

OK, here is my driving factor: My average usage for 2006 was 2270kwh per month!
    We are currently living in a 1200 sqft mobile home that is completely shaded, cheap insulation, cheap windows, oversized AC unit and 100% all electric.

We will be building our new home 50 yds from the MH. I will be harvesting the trees that block the winter sun from reaching the new home and will be placing the solar array at the edge of a meadow on the south side of the home.

The new home will be super insulated with perfect southern exposure. I will be using Gary's passive collectors in my design as well as solar powered radiant heated floors.

We are trying real hard right now to cut our daily kwh usage. If we learn to control our usage now we will use much less in our efficient home.

Yes, my wife thinks I'm crazy!

9. mightybooboo

Cool,so if you could do a system like WisJim,with grid tie,depending where you are you can get 50% or better rebated from various credits,putting you in to a nice 30,000 system.

Now Im the kind of guy who could buy into that.For the reasons you state.

Its a new car,or a lifetime system in my book.I can skip a car.

And if anyone wants to argue upkeep,please dont do it with me,thats a given and I accept it.

Also bet my bottom FIAT dollar,once you get into it you will upgrade appliances,lighting etc resulting in a very large cut in power usage.

You have exactly the right attitude for pulling this off in my opinion.

10. mightybooboo

As for brands,I suspect you already know that.Xantrex/outback/kyocera/BPSolar/unisolar,etc.

Any of the big names is excellent equipment.

11. mightybooboo

And welcome to the forums Steve.You will find lots of advice and opinions here thats very helpful,on many topics.

12. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

LOL--------LOL-----------Booboo-----------I am Sorry------I Had to put on my glasses to see the typo--------LOL--------Glad You Got it!! Randy

13. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

two or three weeks ago, I was in the city looking for the UPS store, next door to it I found a 'Battery store'. I had never heard of such a thing so I went in. I ended up having a long conversation with the owner.

There is a lot of 'high tech' going on right now with batteries. He can get a wide selection, but he can not get the really good ones that manufacturers are using for electric cars. Those batteries are all patented, and only available through those manufacturers.

If you dont mind putting them in an oven, and re-casting the plates; I would say to get cheap lead-acid old style wet seal batteries.

Otherwise you really need to talk to someone whose entire career is about staying up to date on the subject.

14. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

Sorry about my typo--I fixed it. Took me a minute to find it myself.

15. RipVanArkie

Construction begins May 2008 and should last 5 months. That puts retirement at October 2012, I will be 38 and the same age as my dad at his first stroke. The past 8 years has convinced me I do not want to live a complicated life as he has.

I've gotta say, Gary is my new hero for this new home project! I have been trying to figure out how to install the radiant floor over the SIP floor panels, I just read through his entire process and now I can see it happening! SIP construction alone is supposed to cut my heat/cooling cost more than 60% couple that with the monthly savings by using the radiant floor as opposed to the conventional central heat... I'm not sure if I will sleep tonight.

16. mightybooboo

Yes indeed,really exciting tech for batteries being developed.I really like the Li-Ion nano tech with the fast high amp charges,fast high amp discharge rates,very long life,no heat problems,Man thats exciting stuff! :dance:

Im hopeful it will flow to us for use.It does seem electric car research is whats 'driving' the battery tech (punny,eh?). :p

Gary knows his stuff for sure!

BooBoo

17. TechGuy

TechGuy Well-Known Member

FWIW: I wouldn't hold my breath on these ever being reasonably priced. Part of the problem with Lithium Ion batteries is the cost and availability of the materials use. Lithium is somewhat of a rare element. Even if mass production was able to reduces costs, shortages of raw materials would drive up costs. They are in a similar predicament as fuel cells.

18. mightybooboo

Im willing to bet,unless something supercedes them,Li-Ion costs will continue to fall.

Based on the recent interview from the guy who developed the EV-1 lead acid program,lithiums are already cheaper than those lead acids were.And in 1996 it was a GIVEN FACT that would never occur,but lo and behold,10 years later......

Again,lets see what happens.Tech is slamming into batteries right now,big time.

We are seeing some monumental changes right now.

BooBoo :gromit: "It'll work"