Best areas in the country to be able to drive cart?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by bergere, Feb 14, 2004.

1. bergere

bergere Just living Life

OK,,

What states, counties or towns in the US, are the best place to live (Safest, and where people understand about animals), to be able to ride horses or Drive a Cart around on the country roads?

Look forward to what everyone knows. :)

2. diane

diane Well-Known Member

I would look where there are large Amish communities. We have a great many of them in my area and although there are the occasional accidents, I think people are more aware when they are in an area where the horse and buggy are more common.

3. heidith

heidith Well-Known Member

Although I don't live there anymore I know that St. Lawrence County, New York State is pretty friendly in that regard. They have a large Amish population so it stands to reason that they've grown used to seeing horse and buggy...or cart!
    Heidi

4. healing herbals

healing herbals Pam in OK

We have a large Amish community in our area, but you usually see them driving their tractors, not much the buggy

5. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Thank you for the ideas.
    Love to not be anywhere near cars (or have a choice of nice trails with out motorized stuff), but am sure I can't find that in the US, as much as I would like it.

So does anyone know where these communities are, that mostly use horses?
    VA, NY,, etcc, etc??

6. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

We have both Old Order Amish and Mennonite communities here in southern Maryland. In the areas where the Amish live you will find hitching posts at the grocery stores etc. and signs along the roadway to make motorists aware of the buggies. Mostly the buggies drive along the shoulder but on the back roads there is no shoulder. I have never heard of a car and buggy accident but I'm sure they must happen from time to time.

7. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

We have Amish around here in spots. Parke County Indiana has a few, Moultrie County (I think, not sure, might be Cumberland) Illinois.

They have buggy signs up for motorists and they try to leave a buggy lane (in the shoulder) on the main roads. I know when I go to those communities, I need to be watching for them.

Jena

8. I'm in Hidden Valley, AZ -- about 30 miles south of Phoenix -- and while it's unusual to see a horse and buggy, riders are common. Most of the roads are dirt, or have wide shoulders, and there's tons of open farmland or unfenced private land. Before my old mare died, I used to just throw a saddle on and ride for miles -- there was the occasional car, but she was traffic safe and there was almost always room to get off the road.

I'm actually saving towards a mini and a buggy. (Not until I can afford a trailer too, though). There's hundreds of miles of dirt roads out here, figure it'll be fun to drive a mini. (And not so hard on my back as riding is!)

However, I will say that the area's growing rapidly. It won't always be this way.

Leva

9. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

Homes county ohio. Largest group of amish in the world.

10. nostalgia

nostalgia Well-Known Member

I agree with Gary about Ohio. We live in WV but travel through Ohio alot and see lots of horse and buggies on the highways there. In towns and in rural areas. Galliopolis Ohio is another area with Amish communities who use horse and buggy. Friendly people there too. The town is probely a bit crowded for horses but the country around it is beautiful and great for horse and buggy rides.

11. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Do you want to ride on actual roads like your first post or do you want to ride on designated horse trails like your second post? I can't think of anywhere that are horse friendly on secondary country roads. Used to see people riding on secondary roads years ago but because of traffic you don't see much of that anymore. If you want trails look towards large parks that have miles of designated trails. All of the riding crowd I know trailer to the large parks for a riding/camping weekend.

12. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

Geauga County Ohio has a large Amish settlement too. People know how to drive around buggies, and most of the stores have hitching posts. Although, right now it is so cold and miserable here, it's hard to recommend it to anyone! What about out west somewhere?

13. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Keep the ideas coming. Town names would be great, too.

I guess, would like both ways,, to be able to drive my cart on the road in an area less likely to have drivers go out of their way to try to run you over.
    An area, that people are really used to seeing horse and cart out, where the majority of car Drivers are polite. (I know asking too much,, sigh ~ ~ )

And Second, I have a dream, (I know not realistic), that I can take my cart or ride, without worry of any cars or motorcyles.

This side of Western WA, is not safe for Horse & Cart or riders. To many drivers really do go out of their way to play chicken, try to spook your horse off the side of the road, not carring about the 30' drop off,,, etc,, etc.. My horses are well trained and do not worry about the cars, however, any horse that has a car coming straight at them playing chicken is going to spook. Even with the very wide shoulders we have on my road.
    Even had one fool get so close (Had no where to go) That their side mirror hit my stirrup. Can tell you about many hair raising things I had to go through, before I just finally gave up....

So at my age, I am looking forward to finding a place more horse & People friendly.

Do not like the snow much, but getting to the point I am willing to at least look at areas that get snow.

Are they any Amish in KY or VA?

14. puffdog

puffdog Active Member

If your wanting trails to ride visit Wrangler Camp at Land between the Lake on the Kentucky Tn border no motor vichle admited :)

15. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Around here we have Horse and Buggy Mennonites and Trail Riders.Only accident I've heard of is School Bus was following a Wagon Kid fell out and the School Bus ran over and killed him.But that driver didn't need to be Driving a Bus anyway but they couldn't find anyone else to do it.

Also people around here don't worry about blowing their doors off because that is the way they choose to live.

big rockpile

16. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Lagrange county Indiana has the third largest Amish settlement in North America. The Amish are also across the state line from Lagrange county in St Joseph County Mich. (Centerville Mi)
    Shipshewanna In is in the heart of the Amish country in Lagrange county. It is one of the largest tourist attractions in Ind. The Amish have spread out into several of the surounding counties. The buggys are safer on the roads because they take up the whole lane, and cars have to stay behind them until they have room to pass, but a saddle horse or bicycle leaves almost enough room to squeeze through in the same lane, and some fool will try it and not even slow down. The most dangerous thing in town up there is getting run down by a buggy horse while you are trying to cross the streets. They have several miles of gravel roads where you could ride with reasonable saftey.

17. Kirk

Kirk Well-Known Member

Bergere,
    The place you are looking for is Mackinaw Island Michigan. They allow horses, buggies and bicycles ONLY. The one exception is the Island ambulance service, and limited snowmobiles in the winter. As I understand it there are still some places you can buy up there but you will certainly pay a premium price for a home or land.
    Kirk

18. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

I can't tell you about USA. Can't really tell you much about Australia either, EXCEPT that the right places for on-the-road in Australia would be small country towns (say 750 to 3000 population) with no major through-traffic (that is, the major roads by-pass the centre of town). Better still if they adjoin a little-used national park or state forest, but beware the traffic in that case.

A small country town is likely to have a number of pony-club members riding, so the residents are used to horses on the road. May even have one or two people using sulkies or pony-traps. Also, we have a lot of small-town harness-racing. If you can find a place that does that, or at least horse-racing, it should also up the chance that people will know how to treat horses on the road.

Road rules here still insist on reasonable treatment of horses - they recognise that horses will spook, and they insist that drivers give them room. Doesn't mean it always happens, but it's on the books. If they get reported for breaking those laws, it's the police knocking on the door, and "back-you-go, buddy, they'll see you in court". You might check what traffic laws are on the books with regard to horses: that ought to be something you can do on-line.

Those are all things you might throw into the pot, along with the Amish possibility,

19. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Mackinaw Island Michigan, I would love to live there!! But is only for very rich folks. Sadly something I am not. sigh ~ ~ ~

I am looking for places to do some research on, as it looks like we may have to move, if DH does not find a job soon. So we would like to move to an area, where I can drive my cart, and not have to worry too much.

There is a rule (Also in the Drivers ED book) here in Western WA, that says horses have the right of way. However, getting the Police to do something about it when soooo many people ......don't care. Sadly, just the way things are around here. Sad, because I like the clime, love the trees and mountains.

Does anyone know of any Mennonites or Amish Horse and buggy communities in Oergon?

20. River

River Well-Known Member

Bergere,

The furthest-west horse and buggy groups I know of are in Montana. There are both Old Order and New Order Amish groups, there. There are Mennonite groups in Oregon and Washington, but no horse and buggy types (that I am aware of).

River