Best Apples for Pie

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by FiddleKat, Nov 20, 2006.

1. FiddleKat

FiddleKat Mother,Artist, Author Supporter

Now that Thanksgiving is upon us, my usual pies I bake is pumpkin and apple. I'll have to buy DH his pecan pie, because Ive never made one.

Anyway, my mom always used Cortlands and that is what I always used as well. The only thing I went to the grocery store this morning and they didn't have any.
    I have a pile of beautiful looking Red Delicous and Ive thought about using those up before they go bad.

What apples have you used? And how were they? THANKS!

2. ellebeaux

ellebeaux Well-Known Member

This is a serious question for me as I am on a lifelong quest to make a perfect apple pie!

I like using a mix of Granny Smith and a sweeter softer apple. For me, the tartness and the firmness of the Granny Smith is a neccessity but I like the softness and syrup that a mushier apple adds.

I look forward to what others say.

3. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

If I remember correctly, McIntosh and Empires are related to Cortlands so should do fine. I usually use McIntosh, but my SIL uses Granny Smith's exclusively. Maybe you need to make one of each kind and then mail them to me at: (hehehe)
    Ann

4. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

Half McIntosh & half Granny Smith is my favorite. Gives you a mix of softer/juicier and firmer apples in the finished pie.

I'll substitute Jonathon for McIntosh if they aren't available.

Lynda

5. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

6. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

7. Auric

Auric Registered Doofus

I'll second that. Fireside's are also good, and stay pretty firm like Granny Smith's.

8. deb

deb Well-Known Member

We like Wolk River for pie.

deb
    in wi

9. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Spies or Granny Smiths....both our trees had bumper crops this year. DEE

10. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

If using store brought I use Granny Smith. There is an old old apple tree on our property that makes the best apples for pies...I have no idea what kind they are other then "red" :)

If you have the time, instead of the usual sugar, spices, flour, make a caramel sauce with spices to pour over the sliced apples in your pie shell. Sort of like caramel apples in a crust :)

Hugs
    marlene

11. IMContrary

IMContrary Well-Known Member

Personally I prefer either Golden Delicious or a Jona-Gold. I usually try to pick out the ones that are a bit greener than the others. Something else you can do that will really improve an apple pie...if you can get a quince or two, peel and slice, then mix with the sliced apples. Adds a fragrance like you won't believe!

12. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

Northern Spies - period! When I run out and the Norther Spies aren't in season, I have used a mixture of Granny Smith and Crispin. I loathe any apple with the word "delicious" in their name. I think their taste is insipid -- might as well be water; and the texture -- more like applesauce than an apple pie.

By the way, if you want your apples to hold their shape better when you are baking them in a pie, cut them in larger pieces until you get the effect you are looking for. Experiment a little!

Good luck! And, Happy Thanksgiving to all the pie bakers out there . . . tomorrow is my day for pie baking! Tonight will be quick breads (pumpkin, cranberry nut and date nut).

MaryNY

13. Ebowhunter

Ebowhunter Well-Known Member

14. FiddleKat

FiddleKat Mother,Artist, Author Supporter

Well I'll be durn.....went to the store to pick up bananas and sausage for tonights supper. All the store has is Red Delicous which I already have.
    Yesterday I went to the other grocery store and they didn't have any Cortlands, Granny Smiths or any of the other anyone else mentioned.!
    Grrr! I guess I am going to have to use the Red Delicous. I hope it comes out okay.

Just realized how I wrote that, just so you know....
    the bananas and sausage are not going to be together. Were just having the saugsages for dinner. :)

15. wyld thang

wyld thang God Smacked Jesus Freak Supporter

Turtle Island/Yelm, WA "Land of the Dancing Spirit
    if the apples are a little bland, add a tad of lemon juice and lemon zest

16. annie716

annie716 Well-Known Member

I use crispin (mutsu) or 20 oz. pipins. Spies are better but in short supply around here. The above are tart and crisp & keep along time. As they ripen they are also excellent for eating when peeled.

17. auntielisababe

auntielisababe Well-Known Member

I use Mcouns when they are in season and Granny Smith when I have to use store bought apples.

Lisa