best all around fast growing tree?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Feb 20, 2004.

1. What would be the best all around fastest growing tree to use as a privacy hedge? I've been looking at paulownias and some of the evergreen types... I don't want to put my money in something that isn't going to live very long. I'm in zone 7. Thanks!

2. mousecat33

mousecat33 Well-Known Member

Eastern red cedar(juniper). Works for me.

You will get more responses if you are more specific about the location! :)

mc

3. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

MC is right--cedar is great. White pine also grows 'quickly' for me. Or maybe it is that the years fly by faster than I ever dreamed.

I have a river birch that has tripled in size since I got it about 4 years ago. It is now over 17 feet and has beautiful bark. But obviously not evergreen. I like it enough that I am going to get a feww more this year.

4. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

Two trees that don't cost anything,not evergreen tho, are:
    Poplar and willow. Just cut a branch and stick it in the ground, 9 out of 10 times, they should grow...
    lacyj

5. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Quick growing, one season? Bamboo, but be aware it spreads severly.

6. Tater'sPa

Tater'sPa Well-Known Member

Several years ago I got a dozen poplars from a mail order company, within 6 years these things towered up about 60 feet. Since then I have cut many branchs off and restarted them. I put the cuttings in a 5 gallon bucket 1/2 filled with water for about 2 months, they root like crazy. So far i've transplanted about 70 trees.
    T

7. bergere

bergere Just living Life

The best and fastest evergreen hedge I have grown is the, Leland Cypress,, they also seem to be very hardy in many areas of the country. Some of mine have been in the ground for 5 years, and they are close to 20feet tall.

Bamboo is another good hedge. They now have a lot of clumping varieties, that will not spread much. I have some in the grown for 4 years,, and it is true about the clumping bamboo.
    One Green world has a good selection.
    http://www.onegreenworld.com/

They are outstanding people to deal with. :)

8. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

Check your local agriculture or forestry extension officers. Your taxes pay for them, they'll know the answers, get your money's worth.

My impression of Paulownias is that they need a lot of attention to fulfil their potential - they can tend to be multi-trunked, and need a lot of pruning to make timber trees.

In Australia our forestry services use pinus radiata - Monterey pine - for plantations. Grow fast, good timber, withstand moderately dry conditions, if it suits your climate.

Any tree which grows fast tends to live its whole live fast, so it dies young too.

9. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

rose of sharon grows like mad and spreads like mad via seeds. and they get pretty big too.

10. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) There are other considerations than just fast growth. The pattern that the tree grows in, how invasive are the roots(like poplar, don't want to be planting them around a septic tank or leach field for instance), how much water do they need, and stuff like that. Contact your local County Extension Agent..they are great and our taxes pay their salaries...Put 'em to work! LOL, here there are arborists and master gardeners that work with the extension service and are there for just a phone call.

Good luck with the project. Oh, and as for bamboo..be vewry, vewry, careful with the stuff. No matter what "type" it is, it'll escape, so location is important as are any near neighbors. Also, don't know where you live but in many areas bamboo is prized habitat for rats, mice, snakes(because of the rodents), black widow spiders, scorpions and other interesting creatures. LQ

11. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We are starting cottonwoods from cuttings. They grow more bushlike than popular. So far last years cuttings are growing well in the deserts of AZ. Not too much water usage to stay green which we are glad of.

12. RAC

RAC Guest

Also make sure that if they are growing near any power poles or utility easements that they don't interfere, otherwise the utilities will cut them down. Your utility should have a list of trees that will grow, but not so tall that they will be a problem.

Another thing to consider is whether they drop leaves or other things where you're going to walk. People have been known to twist ankles over those round seeds, pods? that drop from liquidamber trees. Do you rake leaves or not?

As far as neighbors, if you grow them too close so that they overgrow onto their side, that can be a problem. I've seen hop bushes ruin chain link fences, for example. Or they cut an overhanging branch that is too close to a shed (say a branch big enough to cause damage), but it happens to be a main branch and your tree dies.

I think in some states bamboo is actually considered "invasive", and you can be fined, etc., for growing it--please check into it. It does make a really nice privacy fence.

Oleander is wonderful too, and virtually maintenance-free, but not good if you have animals that will eat it, or if you have neighbors with animals. I never personally heard of horses eating it, but some areas, again, ban it for just that reason.

13. Thanks everyone for your input. You have given me a few more things to ponder!

14. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

I'm is zone 5, but we have had great success with hybrid poplars. They live much longer than lombardy poplars (they say aroud 50 years which is probably longer than I'll be around anyway :rolleyes:). We've transplanted lots of little quaking aspens out of the woods, and they grow really fast, but I'm not sure how they do in zone 7. They may be more of an northern tree. I'm trying hybrid willows this year in a spot that needs really fast coverage. We've got a rose of sharon hedge almost 300 feet long that we grew from the seedlings of one tree!

15. TXlightningbug

TXlightningbug Well-Known Member

I live in a Zone 7b/8a area in Texas. We use red-tip photenia for a fast-growing privacy hedge. It grows taller than a house, flowers and, at maturity, only takes a few to go clear across the back fence. They can be multi-trunk or single, depending on how you trim them up. You can shape them with hedge trimmers or grow big and bushy if left alone. Nellie R. holly bushes are big enough to use for a privacy hedge, but they are slow growers.
    Good luck with what you're seeking. Do get the advice of your local agricultural extension agent. They exist even in the city. Look in your government pages. :yeeha: Judi