Best Age for Hides?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by bluefish, Sep 19, 2006.

1. bluefish

bluefish Wait................what?

What's the best age to butcher if your goal is the pelt? Somebody told me six months. Is that old enough?

Thanks!

Kathryne

2. pasotami

pasotami Hangin out at the barn!

Since I do not sell my pelts - I use them to make things like collars on jackets, etc. all I can say is the bigger the rabbit the better. A young rabbit with thin tender skin is harder for me to work with, a mature rabbit give me a nice size piece to work with and the skin is not so thin that it works holes in it. I can only speak from tanning my own and not sending them to a tanner. The best hide I have ever had to work is a doe that was 3 years old - she kept eating her babies so she has become several nice dinners and a wonder addition to a garmet.

3. doodlemom

doodlemom Well-Known Member

That's what it says in the books I've read 6 months or older when it doesn't shed and the coat is thick.

4. pasotami

pasotami Hangin out at the barn!

Winter pelts are really thick....

5. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

I was talking with a mink breeder the other day, and he was talking about pelting them out. He told me they were ready to do when there was no more blue skin showing. He raised black mink, and they are among the slowest maturing, so that when he pelts them out in December (for marketing in March or late Feb) they quite often still have a stripe of blue along the backbone. This is the thinner skin where the pelt isn't aged enough yet. Yesterday I was carrying a young black doe, about three months old, and I noticed her skin under the hair is all blue, because it's so thin yet.

Jennifer