Besides Old Mother Hubbard...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Stickywitch, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Stickywitch

Stickywitch Well-Known Member

Do you give your dogs a bone?

We feed our dogs chicken and rib bones.
    We've had no problems as of yet.

2. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

Yes, we do give our dog bones. I think they are good for her. I buy soup bones at the store if I don't have any leftover for her. She also gets chicken bones but I go through them very carefully to make sure they aren't the ones that splinter. There's nothing my husband likes better than the sound of our little girl chewing on her bone!

3. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

We will give him beef bones, and venison bones. No chicken or pork bones. My brother had a dog that got all tore up inside from some pork bones splintering. Course sometimes our stinky old dog helps himself to bones that I'm not REAL sure WHAT they are :no: when he goes for a walk through the woods.

He gets the table scraps as well. At his age, we kinda spoil him now.

4. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

you should never give your dog chicken bones of any kind they all splinter and cut there insides

5. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

My dogs seem to have a knack for finding their own bones...usually deer bones (obviously poachers aren't always very good at picking up the deer they shoot). And the other day one of the pups brought home a huge catfish skull.

6. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

Growing up my father would never let us give the dog a bone. He said that they could choke on them too easily.

7. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

I feed RAW bones everyday (I feed my dogs BARF). I typically use chicken, turkey, and pork because they are the cheapest, but I give beef soup bones too for treats. In the fall they sometimes get venison and on occassion, they'll get rabbit or duck (the whole cleaned carcass-minus the skin and intestines).

BTW COOKED bones (esp. chicken) can splinter and cause serious issues, but RAW bones (esp. chicken) are very soft and do not cause problems. I've been feeding raw chicken bones for about 6 years now with no problems.

8. Stickywitch

Stickywitch Well-Known Member

:confused: BARF???

9. Steph in MT

Steph in MT Well-Known Member

Hee hee, I've been looking into starting my dogs on a raw diet and I notice a lot of people are using the term "raw feeding" now rather than BARF (Bones And Raw Food or Biologically Appropriate Raw Food). :)
    GoldenMom~ do you know of any good websites with info on raw feeding? I'm trying to learn all I can before I make the switch.
    Take care,
    Steph

10. reese

reese Well-Known Member

We're half and half moving to a BARF (which I love that :D) diet, so yes our dogs both get RAW bones with meat on them...as stated above usually. I've noticed even though we're not fully "BARF"ing *giggle* how much healthier our dogs are and so much happier.

11. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

Reese, if you only feed BARF half the time, what do you feed the other half? If you use regular dog food, do you find that your dogs will eat the dog food after the BARF diet? I find that to be a problem...then i feel like my dogs will not eat dog food and are hungry looking for BARF because they like it better.

Belinda

12. cheryl-tx

cheryl-tx Well-Known Member

Scared to say it, but growing up, dogs and cats ate everything, all bones cooked or raw. Never saw a problem. I KNOW, read it, chicken bones bad for dogs. Tried to tell my Dad that once, he just gave me that look like what hair brained story are you trying to feed me. AND, I'm telling on the old man, LOL, every day, he has a cup of coffee at noon and a hershey chocolate bar, half of which he shares with his 14 yo mutt Bowser. I tried to tell him about Chocolate and dogs, he told me to shut up. Yep, luv my Daddy! :rolleyes:
    Cheryl

13. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

I give Buster the Wonder Dog bones occasionally, but have to keep an eye on him cuz he'll chew them til his mouth is bloody and it's hard to tell what's Buster Blood and what's cow blood.

If I can get a big old bone with a solid head, that may keep him busy for an half hour or so. BUT since I don't relish the thought of him being impacted and having to dig out the bone residual from his rear end (OOGY!!!) he doesn't see a lot of bones in his world.

Pony!