Berry vines... rooting cuttings?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by chickflick, Oct 13, 2004.

1. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

I have the most WONDERFUL berries that grow wild here in NE Texas on my place. I want to take some cuttings and root them. Can anyone suggest a good rooting powder, or medium, etc.

I was thinking of offering cuttings to others here on the board. The berries are like raspberries, or black berries. They start out reddish and get darker. They are ReALLY good!! Not very bitter at all. I put a little stevia on and they're great; but I could eat them without it.

I wish I knew what kind they actually ARE!!??? The vines love sun and climbing to about 5 ft. No bad thorns either!! Just a little hairey on the vine.. rarely painful!!

2. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

Take one of the canes[ vines] and bend it so tip touches the soil. Put soil over tip with end sticking out. keep watered. should root in about one month. Another way it to put a pot next to it and root it into potting soil.

3. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

There really ARE no 'canes' to speak of. The whole vine is more like extended strawberry size vines; but your idea would probably work. I was just looking for a way to quickly root several cuttings. Guess no body knows?

4. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Pictures?

Man, I wouldn't eat them if I didnt' know what they were, although obviously you lived through it. :D

5. Epona

Epona Member

hey, if there are no canes to speak of and it vines like a strawberry then it should probably root like a strawberry,take a couple of vines and try a few different way to see which is the best way for you to root them.Personally I don't like using a rooting compound if i dont have to....Hope you get them going

6. treeguy

treeguy Active Member

you can also use cuttings from any kind of willow trees or shrubs. they contain a natural rooting stimulant, which is why they so readily root along stream banks. anywhere a branch hits rthe bank and stays ...it roots. you could take some cuttings from your raspberries and willow branches and put them together in a vase or cup of water. there are groundcover raspberries but if they weren't planted by you or birds then they are wild and not named cultivars. enjoy.