Berry Tree

Discussion in 'Plant and Tree Identification' started by eross230, May 24, 2006.

1. eross230

eross230 Well-Known Member

:shrug: I have a tree hanging over the chicken run. Nice, shady and has berries on it that look just like black raspberries. The berries are sweet (tasted a few) and delicious, without the annoying seeds of a raspberry. What is this tree, and is it OK for the chickens to eat the berries?

2. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

Sounds like a Mulberry tree. Ok for chickens to eat.

3. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

That be a mulberry. Hopefully birds don't eat the berries and poop on your car. Nasty stain especially on white paint.

4. Wolf Flower

Wolf Flower Married, not dead! Supporter

I have a mulberry tree, fortunately it's the variety where the berries are white instead of red. The chickens love them. But beware if you have a dog that likes mulberries... that results in one stinky, disgusting mess in your backyard.

5. eulabes

eulabes full time daydreamer

mmmm....love mulberries

6. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

When I was a boy there was a big mulberry tree in the back yard of the house behind ours in town. The neighbor boy and I would sit in that tree for hours when the mulberries were ripening and eat as many as we could hold. Then we threw down some for the chickens. Never lasted long because the birds liked them too.

Out here in the country the squirrels like them, so they go fast.
    Ox

7. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

Mulberry is just about everyone's favorite jelly in this house. I found some growing wild in the woods a few years ago and transplanted a couple of small ones. I've gotten a few berries off of them the last two years, but I can't wait till they make enough to make all the jelly we want.