Berries in the water

Discussion in 'Goats' started by KimM, Aug 23, 2006.

1. KimM

KimM Student of goatology.

How in the world do you set up the water so goats won't poop in it???
    While I'm on the subject of water, how do you Nubian and long-eared Boers provide water in the winter without losing ears to frostbite? I'm trying to come up with a design to keep ears from getting in the water, kind of like the Bassett Hound feeding bowls.
    One more.....what do you use to provide baking soda and loose mineral in? I use the fence feeders and they are always putting their feet in it and knocking them off. :grump: Anyone have a PVC pipe mineral feeder plan?

2. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I still haven't come up with a waterer that is goat berry proof. I just change it when needed and also have a strainer I use if there are just a few berries. I live in a cold climate and my adult Nubians and Boers havent frozen their ears yet. I do need to take care with the little babie's ears. I dry them off well when they are born and provide plenty of warm straw for them to sleep in. For my soda and mineral, I buy these side by side plastic feeders that I get at a feed store and my husband nailed them to the walls of the goat houses.

3. Simpler1773

Simpler1773 Well-Known Member

I just took an ice cream pail and screwed it to the wall with two screws. Probly won't hold up to them putting feet in it though. It's cheap to replace however! :cool:

Ricki

4. valhalladad

valhalladad Active Member

Welcome to the world of goats. I personnally believe that the berries are the goats way of saying we want fresh. At home with a big trough we had very few berries, but at the fair with buckets and dust usually three times a day. They just wanted fresh. I also never had a problem with nubian ears in the winter. I live in NE PA and it does get real cold in the winter.

5. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

We got a bucket and hook combo. First we got the hook---a special kind we saw in our friend's alpaca barn. It has a circle over it so it can't be jostled UP and OVER the hook. Then we discovered we needed a bucket with a special bend in the top of the handle in order to get it ON to the hook.

They still get a few berries in there, but not as often. Also, we don't find a spilled bucket with no water. Since goats NEED water, like any animal, this makes us (and them) happy.

One little hint---don't set up the water behind where their hay or grain feeders or even thier mineral feeders are. Or even just next to them. Because eating sets off the pooping mechanism. So while the goats are jockeying for position at the feeders, and positioning their bodies sideways to prevent other goats from eating, the poops have this tendency to fly thick and fast right where you don't want them. I do have a lot of Nubian crosses.

BTW, we have temps of down to 35 below zero and none of my goats have frostbitten ears. I only have one Nubian, and she is the herd queen. Goat bitten, yes, frost bitten, no. I do have an acquantance who raises registered Alpines. She has a certain doe, and she and her babies have what she called a tendency to get frostbitten ears. I have no clue why, unless it is a circulation problem.

Now that I think of it, though, last winter I had an oil heater in the barn during the deep freezes due to the fact that I had babies in the barn that weren't handling the cold very well. So maybe it will be an issue this year...

Now you made me think.

My son made 2 mineral feeders out of PVC pipe with plans from a website. They work better than any other types we have used. They did manage to get one of them down once, but only once. We put kelp powder in one and Sweetliz Meatmaker minerals in the other. You have to use a screwdriver or something pointy and sharp to break up the surface where they eat, because when they slobber all over it and then walk away, it makes a hard crust on the surface.

HTH!

6. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

What about placing the feeder a bit too high and providing a step so they can reach it. It would seem unlikely that they would back up onto the step to put berries in the water.

I still get them in the baking soda feeder but I think those come from the feet as they stand on it.

7. SDjulieinSC

SDjulieinSC Well-Known Member

I wonder if the pvc mineral feeders would work for water? Or is this a "dumb blond" idea?

8. xoxoGOATSxoxo

xoxoGOATSxoxo when in doubt, mumble.

If you have a place where you can cut out a section of fence or that the goats can stick their heads through without getting their ears ripped off, you can place a bucket on the outside of the fence in this area. This also makes the water easier to change, if you're as lazy as I am! :) Make sure the goats can reach it, though!
    About the mineral feeder, you can buy the thick PVC and caps for the ends, then use a hacksaw to cut the PVC in half. (The long way) You can cut the caps, too, or just use them whole and get 2 more caps for the other half of pipe. You can see if they stay on alone, or use a food safe glue and "fuse" it along the cracks between the glue and PVC so that it's possible to clean, and so that there is less of a chance of them falling off and getting lost. If you don't want the goats to tip it over, you can make little rectangle frames that the feeder rests in out of wood or more, thinner, PVC pipe. For me, I was too cheap to buy PVC, and we had some very small plastic oil drum type thingies lying around, so I just sawed those in half and made wood frames for them. They work quite well, food feeding kids free choice grain and for minerals that everbody else eats. Sometimes they get pooped in, though. It's not all that often that they get dirtied, but I'm waiting for a brain wave to come so that I can attach them somehow to the fencing.... :)

Sorry I couldn't post pictures, our printer/scanner isn't working AT ALL, at the moment. Anyway, I hope you understand my rather uclear instructions. I know I tend to ramble on and on and make things confusing...

9. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

I made the five gallon chicken waterer, using a round feeding tub and a five gallon bucket. works fine with the fowl, but the goats are drinking from it, too. no pellets in it. should I add yet? I am thinking of making them their own.

10. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

If it is I asked the same thing. I have the PVC minerlal feeders all over my barns. I have three different types of minerla and baking soda all free choice. The touble I have is they get ripped off the wall. I don't quite know how butthey do. Kim how do you have yours attached to the wall?
    I agree with Valhalladad, I think they are telling us they want fresh water. :grump: they are so smart because we go out and give it to them.

11. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

My son hung them up with bands around them used for holding pipes up in houses. They are thin, long strips with little holes in them all along the length of them. He puts two on each one, at the top and at the bottom. So far, so good.

12. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

That is what I have mine hung with. I guess my goats are bigger brats.

13. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Put the water outside, a distance from normal activity. I almost never find berries or anything else in the water doing this. My goats wouldn't use the PVC mineral feeder. The minerals on the top would get "old" and the goats would leave it alone from then on. I use a small feeder pan screwed to the wall above tail level and just put in what they'll eat in a day or two. For my bucks, I screwed the small feeder pan INSIDE the front of their keyhole hay feeder, between the keyholes, but above the hay. Zero contamination. :)

PVC feeder won't work for water unless you can figure out a way to maintain the vacuum. And then how would you fill it?