berkshire

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Anybody keep berkshire? anybody got any opinions or information on the breed ?

2. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Funny you should mention this! Someone just gave me 6 berkshire babies about two weeks ago. The sow died and the owner didn't have time to raise them.

So far they are doing great! Sorry I can't be of more help on the breed, this is my first time raising berks. :)

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Ain't them little turned up noses cute? Years ago there were a few herds of them around here. Most farmers made wise cracks about their funny snout. Other than the nose I don't know of any difference between them and the other common breeds that were all a little less lenghty back then.

4. Jennifer122102

Jennifer122102 Active Member

I have heard that they tend to have a slightly higher fat content than the other major breeds. The meat is more "marbled" than other breeds.

Jennifer

5. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

Berkshires are reputed to be the best tasting. The Queen of England's royal pigs are Berkshires, and I have read that the Japanese prefer Berkshire pork as well.

6. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

You win the prize :D Berks are the fastest growing registered breed as far as nos. registered. It is because of meat quality and marbeling. The market in Japan pays a premium for this type of meat and the packers are glad to take there money :haha: The berks are used in a cross breeding program or as terminal sires usualy. Packers usualy have some type of premiums built into the contracts and producers breed what it takes to gain the extra income!
    Mr Wanda
    Mike

7. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I think they are one of the cutest domestics. Didn't know about the marbling. Sounds like a plus :) Good information.

8. I was kind of wodering about climate being all black are they a better northern hog or do they do well about anywhere? I am asuming diet is about like any other crossbred meat hog or yorkie etc? A book i read on hogs listed them as one of the better purebreds in performance about as good a performer as the crossbred hogs of commerce. And yes also a premium meat hog due to a little fatter carcass.

9. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

As for being black, I've had some Hamp crosses that were black and they did fine here in western Oklahoma. The temperature gets into the 100's.
    I have plenty of shade for all of my hogs and keep water holes for them to keep cool.
    I'm feeding my berks the same feed that the others get. Nothing special.
    I've heard that the meat is pretty tasty, can't wait to try it. :)