Bending Square Tubing

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by YuccaFlatsRanch, Jan 7, 2007.

1. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

How would one go about bending 3/4 to 1 inch square tubing into semi circles with approx 8 foot diameters??

2. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

I'd take it to the local vo-tech high school or college. If they couldn't do it (or if one wasn't available) I'd probably have a machine shop do it. If I did the math right that would be about 12-13' piece of tubing and would be difficult to handle and would take a great deal of force to bend. Getting an accurate semi-circle???

3. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

The length required would 3.1416 x 8 / 2. That much I can do. Maybe better to go to the electric company and purchase one of the big reels that are made of metal and cut it apart.

4. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

makeing a round bale feeder or a garden swing ??
    I believe they use a slip roll . Powered wheels in a configuration simular to this
    O o O the the two outer wheels may be flat or like a flat pulley with guide flnges the center wheel indents the botton of the tubing slightly .
    it would be difficult to build one for square tubing but you can make one using riding lawn mower or car wheels to bend rounds out of conduit and chainlink top rail for hoop houses.
    you may be able to make a bender out of a 2x12 cut to the arc desired preventing kinking will be the hard part.

5. Oldguy

Oldguy Well-Known Member

They make a pipe bender to make hoop houses for greenhouses that would do it.
    Just look around, I think farmtek sells one.

6. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

They were laying fiber optic cable all around here. We got several of the 8' metal spools from the dump where they hauled them. I guess they don't refill them. We've used them to make greenhouses, gate arches, and the spokes ar 4' long and used in many projects. Lots of metal in those spools.

Otherwise, do what PyroDon says.

7. PyroDon

You can use round tubing to make those as well , they had a number of them at the 4state farm show here last july

8. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I bent some curves into square tubing to make green house hoops. Thin walled though not 100 mil or anything. I pegged a steel wheel off a seed drill into teh ground, and drove in a T fence post. With marks on where the Square tubing contacted I could again mark out how far i had to pull it (close to the ground) to make the arch. No kiddign even thin walled was a nasty pull you'd want some strength and weight behind the effort. I didn't make a semi circle though. Personally I'd peg out a semi circle and make the arches out of laminated wood strips, glued and screwed together. Fellow I know made a big enough green house out of laminated wood hoops, he could drive through, and housed several hundred sheep in it, here in Ont.

9. Yankee1

Yankee1 Well-Known Member

10. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

The toughest part would be making the jig to bend it around. It will bend easily if heated red hot. Youd have to fill it with sand and cap the ends to keep it from collapsing. Otherwise you need industrial sized machinary to do it. Since the outside of the tube will need to be longer than the inside, it will pull in towards the center and distort the shape. Round tubing would tend to flatten on the inside and bulge out on the sides. I really dont think it would be worth the effort when you probably wont get consistant results without a lot of practice.

11. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

I'd have to consider using 1/8" steel bars maybe 1 1/2" wide. Easy(ier) to bend and you could rivet the siding to the bar or attach with bolts if you wanted to be able to disassemble it. Adding lateral (front to back) support would also be easy.

12. Bearfootfarm

Many types of metal roofing and siding can be attached with self drilling screws that have hex heads and rubber washers to stop leaks. They are faster than rivits would be since youd have to drill a lot of holes. Also, the metal siding itself IS your structural support front to back. Take a look at how metal carports are built and youll see the only thing tying the framework together is the sheet metal itself. A couple of angle braces could be added fo additional rigidity, but they really wouldnt be needed in a light weight structure.

Personally, I'd just build it from treated wood. With the right type of metal siding, your framing members can be spaced 5 ft apart, and wood is SO much easier to work with. Only the parts in contact with the ground would have to be treated. It could be anchored to the ground easily, and yet still be portable when needed

13. Bearfootfarm

This entire structure is held together with self drilling screws and took 3 guys about an hour and a half to erect. Its 18 X 36. Im framing up and closing in the ends myself so it can be used as a shelter for about 30 sheep
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. js2743

js2743 Well-Known Member

ever think about pvc pipe it would bend easy and be easy to move just drive some rebar in the ground and put the ends of the pipe down over the rebar also could connect the hoops together with T connectors.

15. PyroDon

That would work for bending conduit or pipe to build a structure like barefoot posted. but wont give you a 8ft round that some are looking for to use in hoop housed and the like .
    I like the carports easy to build fairly easy to move .
    the 12x20s only run about $400 and the 18x24 around $600 or you can build your own for less .

16. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

Where do you find the cheap carports? Around here they all seem to be in the $9-1200 range. Maybe that's assembled, I haven't checked that closely.

17. MeanDean

MeanDean that geeky admin guy

A bit more expensive - "Loafing Sheds" - but they're designed for livestock conditions.

18. GREENCOUNTYPETE

GREENCOUNTYPETE Moderator Staff Member

think about an easier shape like that of the car ports or a barn roof shape
    abd maybe notch , bend and weld

i am assuming you want metal to keep the goats from chewing on it

but wood would be much eiasier

or old t posts welded into the frame with corigated galvinized steel

metal is very expensive right now

but if you realy want to bend the jug you eill need is a 3 roller cofig O o O like pyro don posted

a lot like the shape of the pipe bender yankee 1 posted

but where the jack is it would be a roller that can be push up and turned and the trick is to tighten up just enough that you can crank it and it will take lots of force and to repeat till you have the desired arc we had somthing similar to this in high school but it was for much thinner metal than what you are talking

in the time it would take to build the bender you could have built a several in another shape or a few dozen in wood

19. Oldguy

Oldguy Well-Known Member

IF you want 8' half rounds, just go down to the local hardware store, buy yourself some 1/2" rebar stake some pins in the ground bend the rebar to the pins, lay cross support at the bottom and weld it together, make several and join together standing them up with 4' length straight rebar welded at top and sides.