Belted Galloways?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Queen Bee, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

Do any of you have/had Belted Galloways? I have been doing some research on this bred and would love to add a small herd of the Black Belties.

How would you compare the beef to Black Angus? Temperment?

2. I am starting a small herd of registered Angus. My herd mentor and friend is also a vet.

With that said, I have enjoyed the Belted Galloway Society email board for several years. Someday I may add Belties to my Angus herd because I like the looks of them. I also like the Belted Galloway people and community that I have read about. They are well united and supportive of one another and new people interested in them. I can say the same thing about Angus people. Do a general search and you'll find it.

I can only tell you about Angus from first hand experience. I am having so much fun being a pretend rancher.
    Bret(registered by not signed-in)

3. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for the reply! We had a small Black Angus herd for 7 yrs. and loved them. We raised several calves for slaughter and had 6 heifers that we kept all the time. Our fence was going bad (rotting post, white tail deer tearing down sections and greener grass on the out side of the fence :eek: ) so we decided to sell out for the winter and fix the fence. We are trying to decided what to put back in there when we finish. Thanks for the info.

4. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

I think Belted Galloways are so pretty. I have been after my DH to buy one but he has heard that a lot of them are hard to get to breed.

My guess would be if you do buy them to buy from a Belted Galloway Producer that is proven. I only know of one producer that is close to my area, and am not sure he is still in business.

If you get some keep us posted on the results.