Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you have/had Belted Galloways? I have been doing some research on this bred and would love to add a small herd of the Black Belties.

How would you compare the beef to Black Angus? Temperment?

U

·
0 Posts
I am starting a small herd of registered Angus. My herd mentor and friend is also a vet.

With that said, I have enjoyed the Belted Galloway Society email board for several years. Someday I may add Belties to my Angus herd because I like the looks of them. I also like the Belted Galloway people and community that I have read about. They are well united and supportive of one another and new people interested in them. I can say the same thing about Angus people. Do a general search and you'll find it.

I can only tell you about Angus from first hand experience. I am having so much fun being a pretend rancher.
Bret(registered by not signed-in)

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! We had a small Black Angus herd for 7 yrs. and loved them. We raised several calves for slaughter and had 6 heifers that we kept all the time. Our fence was going bad (rotting post, white tail deer tearing down sections and greener grass on the out side of the fence :eek: ) so we decided to sell out for the winter and fix the fence. We are trying to decided what to put back in there when we finish. Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
I think Belted Galloways are so pretty. I have been after my DH to buy one but he has heard that a lot of them are hard to get to breed.

My guess would be if you do buy them to buy from a Belted Galloway Producer that is proven. I only know of one producer that is close to my area, and am not sure he is still in business.

If you get some keep us posted on the results.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts