Belted Galloway Sale

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Up North, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

2006 Production Sale for Belted Galloways to be held June 17, 1:30 PM.
    Location Durand, Illinois ( about 1 hour NW of Chicago or 17 miles Southwest of Beloit, WI.
    Held in conjunction with Spring Field Day- informative speakers start at 9 AM.
    For info go to ....... WWW.BELTIE.ORG .......

2. NWMO

NWMO Well-Known Member

Read about the sale on their website. Are there others on the site that own belties? :shrug:

3. Up North

We don't personally own any Belties but friends of ours do and they seem to be very hardy and prolific.

Heather

4. savinggrace

savinggrace COO of manure management

I saw that and might make it out there to check it out.

Does anyone know what young stock generally goes for?

5. Up North

This is a sale where breeders from all over the country will present their very best, so prices will probably be a little higher than common grade farm stock.
    Good breeding stock are a sound investment though - they Reproduce themselves!!! Few other investments do this.
    Even if you choose not to buy anything, I think it would be a very educational(AND FUN) day.

6. savinggrace

I just noticed there is a heifer being consigned by a farm which is probably 5 miles from us!

7. NWMO

NWMO Well-Known Member

Not sure what the prices will be at the Illinois sale, but I purchased a 2 registered belties, a bred cow and her year old heifer calf for 1,000 each. Am going to to try to find a grass fed market niche to sell galloway beef.....will be tough to get into it with the midwest "grain fed" market and the quality of beef around here, but I think people will be interested in a "healthier" beef approach.......will give it a shot anyway. I would suspect stock at this sale will go much higher.

8. savinggrace

Now, the prices you quoted are closer to my max. budget than the 6, 7, 8,000 mentioned in the catolog!

I am looking to buy some stock late summer, I had planned to buy mostly bottle bull calves; once they were weaned I planned to feed hay and grains over the cold months, and then to have them on hay/pasture exclusively once we were out of those wicked cold months. From what I have been reading, the belties do pretty well over winter. Anyhow, I plan to be at that auction, it just works out there is a farm auction in the area at 10 am, so it should be a really fun day! :)

9. Up North

Savinggrace, you will have to give us a report on how the sale went. :) I wish I could go myself. It definately would be fun. My freind has a gorgeous grey belted heifer that I would love to get. I've never seen an animal so unique and beautifull. Alas, I can't get every critter that strikes my fancy. LOL

Heather