Below 32 degrees in greenhouse

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Pony, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

DH and I picked up one of those little walk-in tent-type greenhouses, and it is very cool.

So is the weather. Cool, I mean.

We put a couple of jugs of hot water out there last night, and put heavy blankets over the top, and the plants seem okay. But now it looks like we're going to have freezing overnight temps over the next couple days.

So, I was thinking: If we took the Smokey Joe Weber kettle, put some hot coals in there, and set it in the middle of the greenhouse, do you think it would a.) keep things above freezing in the greenhouse, and b.) not cook the plants?

Thanks,

Pony!

2. momofmany

momofmany Dayenu farms

colo-Dado! As my enthusiatic 4 yo calls it.
    I have a flower house, and it has chicks (about 8 weekers) in it of course LOL. They nomally sleep in the shed, but it will barely frost outside so i may let them stay. I was thinking of hanging a brooder light in there over the top cross beam poles, since it won't weigh much, it shouldn't hurt.

Let me know how your experiment works, and if I don't kill my chickens I will let ya know too :)

3. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

I have this picture of your house, and there are chicks all over... LOL!

Well, DH was thoughtful enough to actually put the little Weber in the greenhouse last night! (I was going to wait until it got DARNED cold -- like tonight.)

Went out there first thing this morning to take off the blankets (worried that the rain today would make them so heavy they'd collapse the greenhouse), and found the grill, and a whole lot of HAPPY PLANTS!!

Hope your chicks fared as well!

Pony!

4. momofmany

momofmany Dayenu farms

colo-Dado! As my enthusiatic 4 yo calls it.
    I had a cool glowing greenhouse last night, everything made it fine. I really gotta get a coop up so I can use my little green house for my veggies.

Nic