Belly Milker & Purple Teat??

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by terrafirmafarm, Jan 27, 2005.

1. terrafirmafarm

terrafirmafarm New Member

Hi All
    We have a "new to us" refurbished Surge Belly milker that I am using on our Brown Swiss. Yesterday was the first milking with it and all went well except when I pulled the milker off one front teat was PURPLE!!! She was also not happy about me stripping it. It stripped clean and within a half hour was back to normal.
    Again today the same thing happened when I removed the milker.
    PLEASE HELP WHY AM I GETTING A PURPLE TEAT????

2. FinneyFarm

FinneyFarm Member

Look at the pulsator, make sure that it is squeezing and releasing. If the inflation doesn't release, you won't get milk in the teat canal for another sqirt but also, you won't let the blood flow back out of the teat, hence, purple teat! Very painful. If only one is not working, look at the vacuum line to that inflation and make sure it isn't pluged. On the big dairies, the timing of squeeze/ release is calabrated with a machine and is very critical to teat health. Hope this helps, also make sure your vacuum is at 12.5 hg. That too is very critical.

Finney

3. terrafirmafarm

terrafirmafarm New Member

Thanks
    We have fixed the problem by going down a size in inflations. It seems that large bore was engulfing the entire teat. Now with the smaller bore inflation the teat is OK!!
    Thanks for your advice! :)