Belgian Hares?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by KSALguy, May 10, 2006.

1. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

what can you tell me about the Hare type rabbits, the ones that are so upright and high strung looking in the pictures?
    i know this will probably be a dumb question but they are also developed from the EWR right? and can cross with other domestic rabbits?
    do they have differint habbits? does anyone have any?

2. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

The only thing I know about them is they were boom and bust in the early 1900's and supposedly started the American rabbit industry.

Jennifer

3. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

They're "hares" in name only: Belgians are as domesticated as any other breed. And yes, they really helped put the spurs to the American rabbit industry. They're very rare now, and from what I understand, they're often high strung and temperamental. Unfortunately, the "full arch" body structure is about the least suited for meat purposes because the type is so slim and refined.

They certainly are beautiful animals though: the body structure and lustrous reddish fur remind me of fine sculpture. I'm glad that a couple of breeders in my area are starting to raise them, but really they are far better suited for showing than eating.

Try www.belgianhares.com or www.rarebitsandpieces.com for more info.

4. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

Actually I got to meet some at a show a year ago and they were quite friendly. Very active, not like an angora that just sort of sits, but you could handle them and they came up to have their nose scratched.

5. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Yeah, that's just what I've read/heard about temperament...some ppl also say that Mini Rex, Netherland Dwarfs, Californians, etc. are mean, but so much of that depends on the individual bloodline and how the animal was raised and handled. I think the gist of what I've come across was intended to mean that the average Belgian Hare can be more temperamental than the average rabbit from the more popular breeds...and of course, there's exceptions to every generalization. :p

6. Honorine

Honorine Carpe Vinum Supporter

My MR's are pretty sweet, a few aren't really friendly but most are. They are excellant mothers for the most part, bucks definitely are more outgoing. I do have two does who will 'rush' your hand when they have kits, one bit me once removing a dead baby but thats strong maternal instinct so I don't hold it against them.

7. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

i wonder how a cross of a Hare and a normal stationd rabbit would turn out? what its stance would look like, how active they would be?
    i like the look of the Hare but i dont like the look of the price tag i saw on the ones for sale from differint breeders,
    i wonder what a Hare buck over some meat type does would produce?

8. doodlemom

doodlemom Well-Known Member

Belgian hares always look very alert almost high strung, but are surprisingly sweet. (at least those that we've seen) I'm buying some french angora from someone who also has belgian hares and she says the same. We haven't seen the hares at the french angora farm yet. I'm not into the look of the hare so we haven't bought any. My 4 year old's encounter with the belgian hare has left her infactuated, (but I ain't buying heh heh heh.)