Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So to kick off; I know MOST people have an opinion on Belarus tractors being trash, but lets not go there. I picked one up for the right price.

Belarus 405
65HP but on a huge frame; Oil cooled, Same stats as a 420 but this ones all in russian, not an MSK english convert. 3 active hydraulic hookups, Class 2 3pt with powered down, no leaks, starts first time every time, great on fuel.

Issue: Transmission; I can only get it into one gear; No grinding, no slipping, just cant find another gear to go into. I know it has a "non standard" gear pattern if your a JD, NH, IH, FORD user, but i did get a diagram of the shift pattern, still cant get it to go. Unfortunately, i have the shift pattern for a MSK converted 420, and cannot get one specific to the 405 (which i've come to suspect may be different);

I rebuild old ford tractors, and do field repairs for folks on IH, NH, and JD tractors, so not unfamiliar with old machines.

The reason i even paid money for this, is that had this been any other brand i know, under the same conditions, i would not consider the transmission blown or bad. It can go into and out of a gear, there is no grinding, and no slipping, no indication that its truly broken; So i am thinking either i'm an idiot and cant shift, or there is something else preventing the shift to another gear (linkage ?),

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

(Please dont post your hate for Belarus tractors, or that i should sell/scrap/burn it... thats not happening, even in the current gear it can pull my manure spreader, rake, etc)

·
Super Moderator
12,611 Posts
Possiabilty the forks inside are not moving due to a sheared pin.

:D. Al

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I'd guess It's a mechanical linkage issue. I'm sure you have looked but is there an inspection plate, or can you pull the shifter housing plate off?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@alleyyooper - I would think the same if i could not go in and out of gear;
@bobp - Plans to do so weekend after thanksgiving. Have to run up to ND and work on some of the tractors on the family ranch.

·
Super Moderator
12,611 Posts
Just because the shif lever moves thru the gates doesn't mean the forks are moving the gears.

:D Al

1 - 5 of 5 Posts