Being overrun...

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by mamabear, Nov 8, 2004.

1. mamabear

mamabear Well-Known Member

G'morning y'all,
    I have one flower bed that has become overrun with lantana. Is there a way to separate lantana roots like you do with iris bulbs and such or do I just need to dig them all up and move them somewhere else? I love lantana, but when I put the little puny, half-dead things in the bed they currently occupy, I didn't figure they'd even survive much less take over the whole thing. This was their second year in this bed.
    Thank you.
    mamabear

2. Cara

Cara Well-Known Member

I can't answer your question, but you've given me hope for mine! I looked for it specifically for a couple months, and it just looks sad....maybe it will take over after all!?

3. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

mamabear, Cara and everyone else,

Just transplant the stuff, water it a little and it will take off. It gets downright invasive.

Did you know the berries on lantanna are poisonous? I used to pull it up every time I'd see it in a pasture, fence line or yard. It can kill humans and livestock.

If you have no livestock there'd be no problem unless you have young curious children that are hungry. Please be careful with lantana and where you put it. It's beautiful but it can be deadly.

4. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Cara, my experience with lantana is it likes hot weather --- it loves Texas! Mot sure where you are and what your weather is like, but if it's not particularly extreme, the lantana might not do too much of anything.

But I could be wrong. :D

5. mamabear

mamabear Well-Known Member

My mom had lantana the whole time I was growing up and hers always did wonderful. But I actually gots these from a local building store along with approximately 75 other large pots of dead plants last year. I was going to reuse the pots and the good soil that was in them. As I started removing the plants from the pots, I started noticing some of them still had green on the bark. On a whim, I planted everything in beds and WOW! everything went nuts. I am overrun with plants now and will have to transplant them, I just wasn't sure if they can be divided like some plants can.
    Thank y'all for the help.
    mamabear

6. Cara

Cara Well-Known Member

I am on the wet side of Oregon. So....maybe it won't go here. What I wanted was the type that gets tall and has pink hollyhock like flowers on it....what I got was the ground cover type. But I wouldn't mind if it fills the place it's in.