Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Living in the Hills
4,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quiz

This quiz is for those just starting out. I did have one or two "Ahhh" moments when taking it. If you haven't begun yet, here is a good place to start.

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
I was able to check all but one. I have been more diligent about backing up my computer since mine got fried by lightning back in August, lol, but I have no idea where to store a copy off my premises!?! I only have my son and daughter-in-law, and if I sent it to their house it would be quickly lost and/or broken, so what's the point? Is it worth renting a safety deposit box just for that? If not, where else could I put it?

The same goes for my important papers. I have a couple of copies, one set in my BOB, but they're all here at my place, so if it burned down (something I worry about a lot) I'd lose everything except what's in my BOB, assuming I had a chance to grab it.

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
I checked them all except for talking to the neighbors and the BOB. I've recently decided to pack a bag to have ready...we don't plan to go anywhere but I feel like I need to have something packed and ready. And I always listen to that nagging little voice in my head.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I couldn't check all of them because I've been way lame about storing water. There's plenty of snow on the ground and we have a woodstove and lots of wood, does that count? No, I thought not...

The problem with water is figuring out where to put it.

·
Registered
458 Posts
ailsaek, I have water stored everywhere. I have gallons under the sink in the kitchen and bathroom, in closets, under beds, behind doors. I constantly fill containers and stash them, then rotate and use them up so it is always relatively fresh. We have dealt with no water in the past, nothing like not being able to flush the toilet or make dinner to learn your lesson. lol

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I've got to work on storing more water. Plenty of snow right now but I know from experience that it takes just about forever to melt enough for sufficient water.

Last night I found my old computer backups - they don't even work with our newer computer! Time for new backups.

·
Banned
6,042 Posts
It was very basic, tho I couldn't check them all....

The computer question is kinda over kill, I mean SHTF do you really worry about your e-mail or digital photos?

The other thing about NBC attack and water. If we get hit here with the effects of an NBC then their really isn't any where to go! We are well off the beaten path.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
The computer question is kinda over kill, I mean SHTF do you really worry about your e-mail or digital photos?
It depends on how extensive SHTF is. If it's personal, like my own computer dying, the backup is a good thing. Major disaster, backups wouldn't matter. Wouldn't be anyone around who would care what I wrote. :boring:

·
Living in the Hills
4,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here it makes sense. One of our disasters would be a forest fire. If I had the backup stored in town at my mother's, it would be one less thing to worry about. Right now the computer box is one of the things we grab on our way out the door. We have lived her 11 years and been evaced for fire three times.

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
I keep all my pictures, recipes, copies of books, music, movies, address book, well pretty much everything personal on my computer, lol.

Plus I work at home, so all my work software, backup files for Word and six months worth of client saved backup files are on here, so yeah it makes a big difference when I lose them. I'm just now kind of getting work straightened out from losing everything in August, it's been a mess! I haven't even started reloading all my person stuff yet, no time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts