Beginner Book Needed

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by wombatcat, Jul 14, 2006.

1. wombatcat

wombatcat Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Traditionally I have a "black" thumb. I can bring any ANIMAL back from the brink of death and cause it to flourish for longer than its natural lifespan. But when it comes to gardening or plants in general, I seem to just do everything wrong :rolleyes: I try to do what I learned from my mother, who was always successful, I try to consider the location(s) and all that....I think I need a "teacher". So what I am hoping is that someone could recommend to me a "How to Garden" book for absolute total beginners book (maybe even if it was for kids, that way I'd be sure to understand it)....or "Gardening for Dummies"--is there such a thing?
    Anyhow, I'm looking for something that's clear, easy to read, written for the non-gardener, so I can learn something about growing veggies. I planted so many things this year and a lot never came up, and some came up but grew SOOO slow that now I don't think I can eat it....like my lettuce...anyhow....I think I would like to learn more about what I didn't do right etc...so if any of you have any recommendations for me, I'd greatly appreciate it!!!!
    P.S. I live in Minnesota, if that helps you any.
    Thanks in advance.

2. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

There is a "Gardening for Dummies" book. Useful, helpful, but VERY basic. I think what you might need is actual hands on tutoring. Can you check with your local community college, library or extension service? Many times they offer workshops for beginning gardeners.

Also, I have found that if you call the local extension service and explain your plight, there is usually an older woman or man working there who will take pity on your soul and either take you under their wing or refer you to the person who can help.

Nikki

3. nandmsmom

nandmsmom Well-Known Member Supporter

I personally like Square Foot Gardening. Its got lots of useful info about when, how and what to plant. I'm a pretty new gardener and I learned tons from it.

Heather

4. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

The book I still grab after more than 25 years is Dick Raymond's "Joy of Gardening." It's still in print and I'm sure your local library has it somewhere in the system.

BW