beets

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by birdie_poo, Feb 25, 2005.

1. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

Once you have grown them, does anyone preserve or can them so they aren't sweet? I like them just regular.

Is there a certain kind I should get to plant that aren't super sweet? I don't like them pickled, either.

2. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I've had pressure canned beets that we prepared by cutting the beets into about 1/2" cubes. The burpee golden seem to be the nicest . Not sweet.

3. birdie_poo

Do you think there are any heirloom varietys that aren't sweet, either?

I've seen articles on the different colored beets. I think they look so pretty, especially the ones that have pinwheel formations inside.

4. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

I realize that everyone doesn't like to or want to freeze produce, but the ones I did up a number of years ago were wonderful.

I used a "Veg-O-Matic" to cut them so that all of the slices were uniform.

Carrots were wonderful too after being frozen.

5. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Red Cloud Beets are excellent canned...or frozen. We do them both ways depending on how much time we have. Just have to plan your meals ahead if you freeze 'em! We also freeze tomatoes and lay them flat in the freezer. Need to thaw overnite so excess water content comes to top and you can pour off. I do mine skin and all in the Vita Mix which pulverizes it all. DEE

6. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

I freeze mine without any added syrup. Cut, parcooked, cooled, vacuum sealed (indespensible) and into the freezer. :)

7. Idahofarmergal

Idahofarmergal Well-Known Member

Those Chiogga beets (red and white striped) turn all red when cooked, especially in the long cooking time required for pressure canning. I can up dozens of jars of beets (hot pack, pints for 30 minutes, quarts for 35) every year. Beets are naturally a sweet veggie. Heck, they make sugar out of them! You could pour off the first cooking water to make them less sweet, but you'll be pouring off an awful lot of nutrients, too.

8. birdie_poo

I have been looking at heirloom varieties, and there are a few that aren't as sweet, so I think I will try those. I have some planted in the front yard, right now, but the grass got so high, and my husband can't remember a thing, so he ran them over. I am pretty sure that some will survive, but I can't be too sure. I have no idea what kind they were. In the meantime, I'll continue to buy regular canned beets from the dollar store. Thanks for all the help with this!!