Beets, carrots, radishes still in ground - how to store?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by sassy_mare, Oct 4, 2005.

1. sassy_mare

sassy_mare Well-Known Member

I've left my carrots, beets, and radishes in the ground thus far, but I am thinking the temps are getting pretty cold (25 at night).

Can I store these indoors or someway (no room in freezer and no time to can!)?

Thanks all!
    Sheri

2. rocket

rocket Well-Known Member

What I've read of all three of those says that you should harvest before the ground freezes. Mulching over the top of them can keep the ground from freezing and allow you to keep them in the ground longer. Or you can pull them up and keep them in cool, humid storage for several months (maybe your garage?).

I'm lucky, though. It never gets much below 30F here, and that's in January. I just planted my carrots a week ago and I'll probably wait a few more weeks to plant radishes.

3. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

You could also cover them with straw or plastic. Even without that, I doubt the ground will freeze in only one night of 25 degree temps. Ground frost takes a while to go deep enough. You could also simply hoe some dirt on top if you don't want the tops exposed to frost.

4. Rone

Rone Active Member

My first winter in Anchorage, Alaska; I saw my neighbor open
    the crawl hole access to under his house. My thoughts were
    that he had frozen water pipes. He said that he had sand
    under the house and had transplanted his potatoes and carrots
    in the sand before his garden got hit by the frost/snow.
    There was 3 ft of snow on the ground, when he emerged
    from the crawl hole, the potatoes and carrots looked
    fresher then you would buy at the market.
    This worked like a Root Cellar.

5. labrat

labrat Well-Known Member

A coupla years ago, I apparently left some carrots in the ground through the winter. The tops were frozen, but the lower part of the carrot was quite edible. However, I would think that this option in Minnesota is out of the question as your winters are considerably harsher than in central Kentucky. I did however run across a possibility a few months ago; a garbage can root cellar that just might usable in your situation. This link also has another possibility; a metal barrel at a slant. I have never tried either one but I think the info is credible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.earth-house.com/Provisions/Root_Cellars/root_cellars.html

6. Sparkey

Sparkey Well-Known Member