beet pulp for milkers?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by harplade, Jul 13, 2006.

1. harplade

harplade loving life on the farm

I am having to send all my questions at once on my husband's computer. For some reason, my computer can't send messages.

Anyway, have I read on here somewhere about feeding beet pulp to milking does? I'm thinking about mixing my own feed-would this be right-equal parts oats, barley, corn and how much beet pulp? Also, do you mix in sunflower seeds with feed or just give as a treat? I am trying to get away from using horse feed with the minerals added as that is only what I've been able to get until now.
    Anything else I should add?

Thanks,

Harplade

2. tioga12

tioga12 Well-Known Member

Well, I am buying milking does from a woman who has had goats for six years now and she shows them quite a bit. She gives them sweet feed and a mixture of beet pulp, alfalfa pellets, and sunflower seeds; she tops it off with a sprinkling of loose minerals when she feeds them. They are very healthy and look great. That is what I plan to do with mine also. (Actually beets, turnips, and the like have been used by farmers to feed animals for many years).

3. jim/se kansas

jim/se kansas Well-Known Member

I top dress my feed with a hand full of beet pulp and and hand full of sun flower seeds for each doe. My does are producing good. One 12lb, one 8lb and a first fresherner 5lb. I have two other does with kids on them with five other dow kids that I top dress also. Hope this helps. Jim

4. chrisl

chrisl Well-Known Member

Here is my feed mix that I have the mill make for me:
    45% Oats
    20% Corn Cracked
    10% Soy Meal
    5% Linnseed Meal
    5% Wheat Bran
    5% Beet Pulp
    5% Alfalfa Pellets
    5% Black Oil Sunflower Seeds
    1Lb Baking Soda

To this I top dress minerals as I feed
    Chris

5. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

This is what I feed.

I have a first freshening LaMancha giving 11-12 lbs at less that 1 month fresh....am milkin 2 other goats giving just a bit less. The udders are so tight with milk, I am thinking on going to three milkings a day.
    Grain mix on the stand ( about 1 1/2 lbs each milking)....

4 parts regular oats
    1 part beet pulp
    1 part sunflower seeds (black oil)
    1/2 part corn

They get in their pen

free choice alfalfa pellets
    free choice loose goat minerals
    frehsened water several times a day as the livestock guardian pup (Great Pyrenees in training) messes it up

also they eat browse during the day

6. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

That's funny. That is exactly what I feed too. Except I'll add some Calf Manna to the mix when we have kids.

7. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

chrisl, what is the % of protein on this feed? And 1# of soda? This is added to how many # of feed? We've usually fed bicarb free choice and when we got away from feeding sweet feed, their consumtion of bicarb went way down. Now, a 50# bag of bicarb lasts our herd the entire year.

harplade, I'd be concerned about upping the amount of protein if they are milking does. And offering minerals specifically manufactured for goats. If there are deficiencies in the vitamins & minerals you'll notice it in their hair, feet, milk production, development of kids.

But, back to the beet pulp. Yes, it is good for goats. We have purchased the shredded, not pelleted beet pulp and feed it in the winter time. I soak it in HOT water and then toss a handful onto their regular feed. We feed it to the pigs also. :1pig: