Beet pulp as supplemental feed?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by hermy68, Mar 29, 2011.

1. hermy68

hermy68 Member

OK on other forums people have asked about beet pulp(known as Beep sometimes). They feed it to lots of different animals,.. horses, cattle, pigs ect.. would this be good in a rabbits diet? I feed alfalfa , and or alfala timothy cubes made for horses to my rabbits as supplimental feed to their pellets and they do very well, but have not tried beet pulp. It is cheaply priced , reletivly high in protien,vitamins,minerals, ect..and will store indefinatly, if kept dry. just curious.:shrug:

2. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

The pellets I got were larger sized than rabbit pellets, so I didn't feed them to fryers, but the rest of my rabbits liked them. I only ever used 1 bag of them, as they were more expensive then rabbit pellets at the time. Check the protien on them before buying.

3. grandma12703

grandma12703 Well-Known Member

I add it to their feed as a supplement. We feed it to pigs, horses, rabbits and chickens.

4. Annsni

Annsni Well-Known Member Supporter

Hmmm - never thought of that! I have one dwarf but 2 horses and I use shredded beet pulp for them. Would that work for bun?

5. laughaha

laughaha Well-Known Member

I just grow beets for both us and the buns/chickens. Beets are so easy and fast to grow that it seems like a shame to buy them. Do well inside in a sunny window too. I practice the pull and toss (into cage/pen) method so they get the greens and the beet. 1 small/med beet per bun or 1 mangel beet per communal pen per day. Mangel beets are only fed in the winter.

6. Annsni

Annsni Well-Known Member Supporter

Beets are different than beet pulp. The beet pulp is the leftover of the sugar beet processing. It's a great source of fiber and calories for the horses and is not high in sugar so we use it for our old horse who has a hard time eating and the other horse who is a VERY hard keeper.

7. laughaha

laughaha Well-Known Member

Good to know, thanks.