Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a produce stand and I want to pull beet greens to sell. Does anybody know of a great way they will stay fresh looking?? Right now the temps aren't bad in the low 70's but should warm up any day now I hope.. Thanks Brenda

·
In Remembrance
28,242 Posts
can you put the cut ends down in some cool water?

·
Registered
65 Posts
What I do at the Farmer's Market is bring along a cooler of ice water and a spray bottle and spray my greens frequently. They also must be kept out of the sun. Another farmer at market brings ice and tosses it on her greens periodically. Still, without refrigeration they do not stay fresh looking all day. Maybe only harvest as much as will sell in 4 or 5 hours. Make sure you dunk them in cold water for a few minutes immediately after harvesting them, too. The colder and wetter they stay the less wilting you will have.

·
Registered
624 Posts
[/B]Thanks I will try that. Our produce stand is done by the honor system. We live very remote and I never know how much to pick.. Brenda

·
Registered
65 Posts
Beet greens have never been a big seller for me, unless I have a big pile of them early in the season that looks gorgeous. But that's at a Farmer's Market with many customers. Juicers like bunches of beets with big greens attached. I find I sell more of all the greens if I provide free recipes.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Beet greens are a big seller here. They are just start coming good I sell mine in a gallon bag for $1.00 a bag how is that price compared too what you get in your state or area? Have a good day.. Oh the recipe is a good thing.. Brenda :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts