Bees in SE Michigan - 2017

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by moday, Sep 13, 2017.

1. moday

moday Well-Known Member

Spun a super of honey so we are good there but now I have to prep for winter.

My plan is to use the Mite Away strips. Do those go on the highest super? Plan to have two deeps, the bottom one is brood and the upper is brood and honey. I thought it was all honey but I see some brood. Hope that I didn't take to much honey away. I will feed them a winter patty and a sugar water. I think I bought two strips last year in a plastic bag.

I will also do the Fumagillin B this fall. I bought the small bottle in the spring. I can't find it, so maybe I used it all? It was like 30 bucks but maybe the amount was just for spring feeding. I can't really remember but it's not with my bee equipment. Anyone have experience on how to use that in the fall? I didn't use it last year as I just found out about it in the spring.

Thanks, Moday

2. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

Yes put them in the top box, remember to watch the tempture too.

Just follow the directions on the bottle or what comes with a bottle.

:D. al

3. moday

moday Well-Known Member

I think last year I was told that day times temps were important....like 50-80F?

I'm hoping that it came with directions but my wife picked it up yesterday from the store keeper and I think he breaks apart bigger quanties and sells a couple at a time for people like me.....

I'll check tonight what she brought home last night. Is it ok to hang on to them for a few days if they are in a zip-lock bag?

thanks, moday

4. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter