Bees...Bees!!

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by yankeecowgirl, Apr 23, 2005.

1. yankeecowgirl

yankeecowgirl Member

Hi everyone! I am new to this board (recommended here by a friend). And it looks great! I cant wait to get reading on allthe different topics you have here.

I am in Texas and was wanting to ask a few questions. I have a huge bee hive I found out in my back yard yeasterday afternoon. Being in Texas I immediatley thought of the "killer bees". This hive is in a tree and about 12"-18" long and oh, bout 8" wide or so and COVERED with bees.

I called my County Extension Office and was not impressed with what they told me. They acted like it was no big deal. They actually told me to kill them myself. I thought killer bees WERE a big deal? :bash:

Anyways......does anyone have any info on them or maybe a picture of the killer bee and honey bee were I can compare the 2 and see what I actually have? I searched the web and havent found anything to really help me yet.

The Extension Office said they would move on after an hour or so and almost 18 hours later and they are still there going strong.

Thanks....

2. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

It's called a swarm, and a swarm generally WILL move on.

They are camping out while waiting for the scout bees to find a hollow tree or whatever for them to live in. Once a place with shelter is found they will leave.

The ONLY thing that gives me pause is *IF* you live in a killer bee area. You cannot tell an Africanized bee from a domestic bee by looking at it.

As I see it, you have 3 choices.

1. Leave it alone and it will probably leave quite soon
    2. Call an extermination company OR a beekeeper and pay for their services.
    3. *IF* you live in a safe area, kill them yourself.

*IF* you live in an Africanized area you should not kill them yourself. But, since the extension agent told you to kill them yourself I suspect you are in a safe area. There are a lot of areas on the web that shows where the Africanized areas are: just do a google search. They will list counties and show maps.

Personally, I would just leave them be. If they are still there in a week or so, pay to have them removed or killed. Unless you have a beekeeping friend who would remove it for free, of course.

3. yankeecowgirl

yankeecowgirl Member

Thanks Terri....Its 5pm here and they are still out there. Just been watching them all day. No real movement around them other then a few at a time flying around the hive. But its been 24 hours and no sign of them moving out yet. Hubby keeps telling me to stay away but its interesting to just watch them. :) I am trying to locate any bee handlers in the area to see if they would be interested in removing them.

Thanks for the help! :cool:

4. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Carefull, Yankeecowgirl, I started out by being fascinated by a wild hive, and I ended up ordering 2 packages! :haha:

Since you haven't hooked up with a beekeeper on this site, try www.beesource.com

That will give you another chance at finding someone local. PErsonally, I live in Kansas and the commute is too much for me!

5. yankeecowgirl

yankeecowgirl Member

Well its almost 11pm and they Bees are still there. I dont think they are going anywhere for a while. I am not having any luck finding a local bee keeper to remove them but I am still looking. Hopefully They will move on soon. Actually they arent bothering anyone, but I am afraid when they begin to move again they could.