Bees anyone?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by NativeRose, Apr 9, 2005.

1. NativeRose

NativeRose Texas Country Grandma

I need some bee advice. All of a sudden there are bees. Lots of honey bees swarming around some old wood spools of cable. They were there yesterday and they are still here today. So, what do I do. There are beehives down the road from me. The man who owns the land lets this beekeeper put his hives on his place. Should I contact the beekeeper? I don't want anything to happen to the bees. We have so few of them now with all the pesticide spraying going on. I need some advice please.

2. bare

bare Head Muderator

Yep, call the beekeeper. He'll want to collect his swarm and probably reward you with some sweet reward as well.

3. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

But, many beekeepers charge for their time. Then again, you ARE a neighbor and the swarm soundsd easy to reach, so there is a good chance that he won't.

4. bare

bare Head Muderator

Hmmm...Interesting, I've never heard of a beekeeper charging to collect his own swarms.

Gives me an idea for a good business venture though! Just take a package of bees out for a drive and when you find a prosperous looking house, shake 'em out and hang the queen in her box on a nearby tree or house.

Then charge the homeowner a hundred bucks or so to rid them of their "problem".

Geeze, the potential! You could advertise to perform vengence on folks. With the idea that someone could hire you to deliver a swarm to a sworn enemy, then you could charge the recipient a fee to remove them again!

Someone owe you money? Hang a swarm on their front door and leave a note telling you you'll call off the bees when they pay up.

5. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

That WOULD be something, wouldn't it? :haha: I wander if anyone is actually unscrupulous enough to do something like that! :haha:

Here is why beekeepers often charge!

They drive an hour to get there, and the swarm is 30 feet up. They get out the ropes and extension ladder, and go on up to collect it.

And, since Rose lives in Texas, they are africanized and the swarm has been on their own long enough to be cranky and ready to sting.

THEN, he gets to go an hour home again.

BUT, since this IS a neighbor, the bees are not africanized cause they are from his hives (maybe), they are easy to reach so no fancy equipment or danger is involved, I really don't THINK he will charge.

I just didn't want Rose to get a bad view of the beekeeper if he DOES charge, 'cause a lot of beekeepers do. They figure that the easy swarms balance out the horrific ones.