Bees a buzzin'

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by NativeRose, Apr 9, 2005.

1. NativeRose

NativeRose Texas Country Grandma

I just posted in the bee forum but decided I would post here also. There are bees...lots of bees swarming around some old spools of cable on our place. Obviously they are planning to build their bee home there. I don't need bees in that area as it is an area where we cross through to my dad's property and the barns. I don't want to hurt the bees. There is a beeman that has hives down the road. I wonder if these are escapees and their queen? Advice is needed. Should I contact the beeman?

2. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Are they definetly honeybees? Either way I would contact the man with the bees. If they are a swarm he might want to capture them. If they're not honeybees he'll let you know. If you can't get him contact your ag. ext. agent and he will help you or refer you to help. If they are honeybees sometimes the pest control will have the name and number of a beekeeper looking for swarms.

3. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Most beemen will pick up swarms, if they can reach them.

This sounds like an easy swarm to get to. Some swarms are up a tree or go inside somebodies wall: at least this one does not require a ladder! :haha: By all means call the beeman.

4. NativeRose

NativeRose Texas Country Grandma

Thanks Terri and Beeman. They are definitely honeybees. I am trying to find the beeman here.