Beekeeping & kids

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by cowboy joe, Sep 18, 2006.

1. cowboy joe

cowboy joe Hired Hand

Yesterday was our first honey harvest. I was excited but wasn't sure about the DDs. You see, they are both in those teenage years when social activities & acceptance outweigh everything else. Any activities not tied to enhancing their 'social status' are typically avoided rather than have any of their friends find out. Something about the geekiness factor or so they say...

Anyway, I was very pleased each of the girls made an appearance in the kitchen when I brought the honey filled frames in. I didn't expect much in the way of help or participation but to my surprise, both girls asked to help and we spent the next few hours together in the kitchen. We plodded our way like typical neophytes thorough the extraction process, talking & laughing the whole time about our bee friends and life in general while we sampled the sweet reward as it oozed from the combs.

Both girls gave me a sticky sweet kiss before beating feet when it was time to clean up...something about homework. I didn't mind. You know, it wasn't about how much honey we harvested...I figured that the day was one of life's experiences that they will remember for a long time to come...I know I will.
    Thanks to everyone here for their advice & encouragement. You made a very special day possible for me & my girls.

2. deaconjim

deaconjim Appalachian American Supporter

My 7 year old son and 12 year old daughter will both suit up and work the hives with me, and they love every minute of it.