beef jerky

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Faed, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Faed

Faed Well-Known Member

Would some out there be willing to sell me some home-made beef jerky? My brother is taking a 2-3 month jaunt over to Kuwait with USAF. I tried my hand at it last year, and it didn't turn out as well as my dad's. If its not as good as dad's its just not worth sending over, lol.

I would be even willin to send out a the money ahead of time. Would it possible for me to use paypal? I'm not sure I know how that works, I usually only use it for buying things on ebay.

Or if anyone else has another idea, let me know. The store bought stuff is horrible, and that is just not a possibly.

thanks all,

Faed

2. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

Have you tried any small custom slaughter and processing plants inyour area? Around here you can get very good "homemade" beef jerky from the local butchers who do custom processing?

3. Faed

Faed Well-Known Member

Good idea! Hadn't thought it...I'll look into it. But in the meantime, if anyone else is interested, please send me a PM.

Ohh...and would it be possible to have a mod put this in the bartering board?

4. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Search the food board,a billion threads on recipes and preperation.You CAN do it,its easy.
    Try using round steak.Trim every little bit of fat out,and sinew.This is crucial.Take all the scrap and grind into primo hamburger.About 1/3 of my meat winds up burger.

Simple marinade is 1/3 worcheshire,2/3 soy sauce.Add some garlic powder,and a bit of whiskey and soak overnight in refer.Stir it so all gets well covered.Or use teriyake sauce instead of worcheshire.You can sprinkle pepper on strips when placing into dehydrator.Never add salt as soy is very salty to begin with.

Dehydrate at a 12 to 36 hour rate,it will be excellent.

booBoo

5. kentuckyhippie

kentuckyhippie Well-Known Member Supporter

I couldn't get the PM to work but I have a friend who makes wonderful jerky. you can reach her thru her website www.newartforgottencrafts.com Her name is Lori and she is also in Indiana just over the river from Louisville

6. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

Faed - you can put it in the Bartering Board....
    If not let me know and I'll help you...

Also, how did you make your beef jerkey? Maybe coming down to Cooking and Crafts and asking for recipes or seeing if someone there would want to help you out.

Angie

7. BobInMN

BobInMN Member

I make my beef jerky from lean ground hamburger. I have one of those jerky shooters and a dehydrator. I buy the seasoning and preservative prepackaged from a local super market. The seasoning mix is enough to season 15 lbs of meat and costs about $7.00. All my friends and family tell me that it tastes great!

8. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

Chuck is the only mod on this section of the overall forum, he is the only one that can move a thread from here. I tried.

BUT, you can just start a new thead on the barter board.

Angie
    mod of Barter Board

9. Don't give up after your first attempt at making jerky. You will only get better each time you do it. When I started out I made mine in the oven. Just barely turn on the oven and crack the door open a little to create a draft that will wisk the moisture away. Use your favorite recipe and after about 4 hours of drying check on it and then again every hour, removing any that is done yet, until it is all dehydrated.