Beef Devon cattle anyone have some?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by unioncreek, Mar 8, 2005.

1. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

I've been reading lately about beef type Devon's and how well they finish on forages. Does anyone have any and what is the prices on heifers/cows.

Any info appreciated.

BobG

2. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I have South Devons. Devons and South Devons are different breeds, but I love my South Devons. Great mommas, great attitudes and the fastest growing calves in the pasture. I have gone to see some to buy and been asked to pay $1800 for bred cows and $1200 for open heifers. In the end, I bought some older cows, with heifers on them, for $800. That was 2 years ago. The heifers just calved this year. One had an exceptional calf, but we had to pull him.

Jena

3. unioncreek

Jena,

Do the South Devons finish out on just forage as good as the Beef type Devons? From what I have been reading they will fatten on a forage and thus will work good for grass fed beef. I just in the preliminary stages of trying to decide if this would be a worth while venture.

Thanks,

BobG

4. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I don't do grass fed, so I don't know. I have a hard time believing some of the claims people make about foraging ability. Any steer will finish on grass...it just takes forever (IMHO).

Jena

5. unioncreek

Jena,

I have just been looking at finishing calve on grass and selling at butchered beef. I was raised on grain fed beef and if I want to eat beef it has to be good. I have a neighbor who raises Highlanders and pasture finishes them. I bought a quarter off of him to try and it was like eating wild game and he is now getting $4.00/pound. The beef type Devons are said to fatten on grass with good marbling, so I thought I would check around. I may have to wait to get a few more cows since I lost over half my pasture this year due to one of the pasture being sold.

Bobg