Beef Cattle classes at your fair (showing)

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by JeffNY, Aug 3, 2005.

1. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

I am curious, at your fair where you show, or know of someone that shows. Do you have a cow only class for the beef cattle? Here, they got rid of it 2 years ago because the judge did not want to judge an animal twice (can bring a jr bull calf in by itself, and again with the cow). It sucks, cuts out a lot of animals, and let me tell ya, its a pain to work with a calf. So do you have a cow only class?

Jeff

2. Laurie J

Laurie J Well-Known Member

Hello!

My daughter shows her Hereford in the beef class for 4-H as well as open class, and I just got out our fair book and here is what we've got:

heifer calf
    yearling heifer
    aged cow, 2 years and older
    cow with calf
    bull calf

Our fair is a small fair in Southwest Washington State.

~Laurie

3. milkstoolcowboy

milkstoolcowboy Farmer

Jeff,
    Our county fair has a cow-calf class for beef, but no separate beef cow class.

4. lilsassafrass

lilsassafrass Well-Known Member

Jeff

Our home fair cut out the cow calf classes about ten years ago , we just have 2 yr old and older bred or not ....there used to be both .. yes it makes it a pain when entering especially if you really wanted to show the calf and not the momma and the calf was to young for weaning (or you didnt want to ) have my fair schedules all done and are submitting them today .. it really becomes a pain when you are running the circuit and the other fairs still have cow calf classes .. makes for figuering who is going and who is not so we dont have to swing home and do drop offs and pick ups in the middle of the night.. I really try to avoid that
    reasoning behind our home fair eliminating ? well fair board didnt like paying out on the same cows twice .. then again the next fair we go to doesnt have a class for non milking 2 year olds ... eliminates a whole age group

Paula
    Hyde Park Farm