bee tree blew down

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by MELOC, Jul 5, 2006.

1. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i guy i know has found a bee tree that recently blew down. i wish i had some boxes. i am so dadgum poor, dadgummit.

2. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

All isn't lost yet.
    Stand the log up and find away to get some boxes and frames. They can still live in the tree or a chunk of it till you have the needed things.

This is one of my bee trees that fell down too.

[​IMG]

:D Al

3. Judy in IN

Judy in IN Well-Known Member Supporter

MELOC,

Where are you located?

4. MELOC

pennsylvania...near to gettysburg.

5. Judy in IN

Judy in IN Well-Known Member Supporter

Darn! Of course, you know I'm in IN. I have quite a few deeps, 1/2 deeps, and shallows I probably won't ever need again. Two hives are plenty for me.

If you were closer, I would give you some to start your colony.

Have you considered contacting your local bee association? They might be able to fix you up....

6. MELOC

i know a guy who could hook me up. he has had trouble with mites and i am leary of his surplus. i suppose i could try to char the insides but i hate to waste the effort. then there is the problem with frames. i don't know how well the delicate woodwork would survive being charred.

the same holds for making a box. i could make the supers but the frames inside look like a pain to make.

7. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

why couldnt you use the Oil on Papertowl trick once you get them set up, or powderd sugar how ever you use that,
    i am sure there are other ways to be sure and get mites under control rather than charing the equipment,
    if you can get equipment to salage the hive i would do it and fined a better way to be safe with a possibl mite problem

8. rwjedi

rwjedi Member

in used equipment. Mites can not live with out brood or bees. If he gives you equipment without brood or bees you have nothing to worry about as far as mites are concerned. The charing is for AFB.

9. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

I also have found that frames soaked 24 hours in a 1 part bleach to 4 parts of water come out a newer than white color. I do soak them after a rince in clean plain water for another 24 hours.

:D Al

10. beaglady

beaglady Well-Known Member

You should have no trouble reusing the boxes if the bees died from mites. Its American Foulbrood that stays in the equipment & can cause trouble years later.

If the guy who's offering the boxes doesn't have frames for you, I have some. They are deeps, no foundation, but you can just wire in the existing comb, or use starter strips. (Look up starter strips on beesource.com for more info) I can give you a couple sheets of foundation to use for starter strips.

You will need to figure out how to get the frames from me, though.

11. MELOC

i cannot remember my conversation with the guy from back in may. maybe i assumed it was mites.i hope it was not AFB. the guy told me that he and many of his beekeeping friends lost 80% of their hives over the winter. i have gotten no other info about it since then.

i am still leary of using used stuff, but i guess i should try something. i really wanted to try beekeeping this year but i just never was able to invest in it. i should call the guy and see what he has. maybe i will stop by his place as he is very close to the downed hive tree. i really need to see the hive tree myself too as i just took the word of a young guy who found it and told me about it at the fireworks on the fourth.

beaglady, i have to say you are one in a million. you helped me out alot with my soapmaking and with the scents and all. also offering to take my junk wire (if i ever de-weed it). thanks a bunch.

i will get out tomorrow and see what i can find and learn about all the above. i bet, considering that the bee tree is only about half a mile away from the beekeepers home, that they are a swarm he lost. i was really hoping to track down the smaller bees i think are natives. i have seen them around my home last year and for years before that but have not seen them this year. my thinking was that if any bees were able to survive for years in the wild, maybe they are tough critters worth "taming".

i will keep you all posted and thanks for the support and info.

12. beaglady

beaglady Well-Known Member