bee hives

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by sleeps723, Nov 23, 2006.

1. sleeps723

sleeps723 Well-Known Member

what is the cadilac of bee hives? what do i need to look for in a hive? what is the best breed of bees? how many queens do u need to start a new hive, and what good does having more than 1?

2. Ol'Reb

Ol'Reb aka Mr T-Bone

A beehive is a beehive.... There's really no cadilacs, there's lots of options on the way they go together, some folks swear by box joints, others want dovetails, and others are ok with butt joints, I have hives with all of these joints and I really don't have a preference, and the bees don't seem to mind either. As long as they have a good coat of paint, and your put them together with nails and glue you should have no problem.

Breeds of bees? Ask 10 different beekeepers that question and get 12 different answers, I use Italians, however I am thinking of going with NWC's.

Queens? A hive only needs 1 queen, in fact they will only allow 1 queen.

Any more questions? Ask away, and good luck with beekeeping.

3. sleeps723

what kinda nails? i do have a staple gun that shoots 1/4 wide from 1/2 to 1 1/2 lengths. would that work? what r nwc? someone once said something about wild bees being best, is that true?

4. Ol'Reb

Ol'Reb aka Mr T-Bone

I use #4d galvanized nail, gorilla glue and a high quality white satin latex paint. NWC are new world cornolians, another breed of bees.

5. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

This is the Cadillac of bee hives. It was offered for sale by Blossom Land Supply a couple of years ago for $2500.00. The wood is Mahogony with full dove tails. Silver mediallons were worked to provide a weather cover over the front vent holes, and the mediallon at the peak of the outer cover. The outer cover has copper covering it. The bottom board is cypress.

[​IMG]

:D Al

6. sleeps723

smokes thats pretty nice, 2500 is kinda steep for me though. i found wooden hive n lotsa stuff for beginners for 300. as soon as i win the lottery tho............