bee balm taking over...help

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Deb&Al, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Deb&Al

Deb&Al Well-Known Member

i planted bee balm two years ago. it's taking over the whole patch of flower garden i have in front of the front porch.

can it be pulled up?l does it spread like strawberries by sending out runners?

any advice would be appreciated, greatly. :)
    debbie

2. Christina

Christina Well-Known Member

It spreads through the roots. Just yank out a bunch of it.....you won't hurt it.

3. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

Now would be the time to yank it out before it gets anymore out of hand.

4. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

Awww, that makes me so sad. It's one of my very favorite plants. Too bad we're not neighbors, I'd come dig it up and replace it with my very aggressive black-eyed susans!

5. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

It is in the mint family, so it does tend to spread, but you can make a really great tea from it. In fact, this is one of the teas the American Colonists drank in protest of the tea tax. So pull it out and enjoy!

6. Cara

Cara Well-Known Member

Last year, Diane from the board sent me some and I thought I had killed it, but this year it's coming up everywhere except where the original stock was....in about an 18" circle around the old area. It smells really good, even the leaves as it hasn't flowered yet. I would really like it to get to be 2-3 feet around, since it's contained in the cinderblock herb bed.

Mommabooh, I would love some blackeyed susans...too bad we weren't nearer, we could share!

7. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind getting some starts of it!!! PM me if interested.

8. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

I love it as well but some folks don't its like mint it will come back :p . I have a bunch of it as well and when it gets out of hand I pull it up but it keeps coming back I guess I do it to keep it under control not to kill it.
    I wish blackeyed susans grew like that here I love those :p

9. mamabear

mamabear Well-Known Member

Hi Debbie,
    Maybe you've stumbled across a business here. Turn your lemons into lemonade. :haha:

I would like some bee balm as well. Let me know if you'd like to get rid of any of it and what you'd be asking for it.

Thanks bushels.
    mamabear

10. Cara

Cara Well-Known Member

When Diane sent it to me, she just wrapped it in wet paper, then plastic, then put it in a box and it arrived (Michigan to Oregon) without even being too wilty.