Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
A heavy canvas tarp to protect the contents, a water proof ground sheet/shelter, a two inch foam pad, and a good sleeping bag. I have carried this bedroll, or one just like it for the past forty years. On pack mules, in pickup trucks and jet airplanes. I have thrown it down in snow banks, sand dunes, and parking lots. It always kept me warm and dry, no matter the situation. Whenever I am away from home for over night, my bedroll is always behind the seat of my truck. Just in case.

A few days ago on the 15th, I turned 66 years old. That evening found me at a Tractor Dealership in Wickenburg, Az. I had taken my tractor in to have a back hoe mounted on it. There was a Rodeo in town and the cheap hotel rooms were $150.00 per night. I slept in the driveway behind the dealership. I wasn't really roughing it, some might call it cheating, but I rolled out my bedroll on a folding cot.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
First, Happy Belated Birthday!

I've been stung 3 times by scorpions - Not sure I'd sleep out in the open like that.
I sure miss AZ. Used to ride around Wickenburg among other places. Rode in a weekend Competitive Trail Ride there...
In the past thirty years I have been stung at least a dozen times by scorpions. But it got down to 30 degrees, so no chance of scorpions.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Winter camping. There is one issue with the bag, it closes with snaps instead of a zipper. So, when you roll over in the middle of the night there is the possibility of a gap opening between two adjacent snaps, which, of course, can let cold air in. :)
If you ever want to get rid of that old thing, I will take it off your hands.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I have used a lot of different "bedrolls" over my life. Everything from a burlap sack buried in leaves to nothing but leaves in a hole buried with logs and covered. I found this sleeping bag a few years ago and got one of the -10 degree ones and I can say it is the most comfortable bag to sleep in that I have ever tried. Lots of room, easy to get in and out of for that midnight wiz, can roll from side to side and always have your nose in the breathing hole. Love it!
View attachment 116162
That is a nice bag. It would make a good start on a bedroll.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts