Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we are having a early cold snap her ( 30s overnight) So I put loots of straw in the gilts and the boars huts that they have, they seem to appreciate it. haha. Made me start thinking about when it gets really cold and the fact that we should have some farrow early next year. Will it be ok to let them just have there huts, 8x8 plywood walls with metal roof, to farrow in? I planned to have a building up for first farrowing but that is clearly not going to happen and I am kinda freaking out that we should have waited.. Advise? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
So, we are having a early cold snap her ( 30s overnight) So I put loots of straw in the gilts and the boars huts that they have, they seem to appreciate it. haha. Made me start thinking about when it gets really cold and the fact that we should have some farrow early next year. Will it be ok to let them just have there huts, 8x8 plywood walls with metal roof, to farrow in? I planned to have a building up for first farrowing but that is clearly not going to happen and I am kinda freaking out that we should have waited.. Advise? Thanks!
You need hut that do protect new piglets from wind. Hay or straw is ok for bedding. They should be ok. A heat lamp would be ok if you could provide that for new born for a couple weeks if the temp is below 20 degree.

Last winter i did have a few Yorkshire sows that had piglets in very cold weather 10 degree in the woods and they did ok. Sometimes the sows will break out of place you provide for them and make their own nest out of what ever they can fine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts