bedding??

Discussion in 'Goats' started by dk_40207, Jul 7, 2006.

1. dk_40207

dk_40207 Well-Known Member

what do you folks use for bedding? Our little goat shed is made of wood and has a wood floor. We have used hay, but it seems to get soiled quickly and wet.
    We access to cheap sawdust....how would this work? How often do you clean it out?
    Since we have a wood floor, would you use a very deep bed of sawdust and turn it up occasionally? Then clean it out completely when it needs it?

Thanks for your help:)

2. TennesseeMama23

TennesseeMama23 Well-Known Member

If I had wood floors I wouldn't use any bedding at all (just in the winter when if it gets really cold). Just sweep it out as needed.

3. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Use nothing at all and the floor will last a lot longer. Maybe just a dusting of old straw/hay in winter to act as insulation. If you use an abundance of hay/straw/sawdust you will be asking for the floor to warp and rot and that could get expensive. Nothing on the deck till winter and then clean it daily or weekly depending upon the amount of bedding you apply. My girls love to lay in dirt verses bedding most of the year, so providing your goats have a strong structure to live in you may want to forego bedding until absolutely necessary...Tennessee John

4. goatgang

goatgang Well-Known Member

We have a raised wood floor in our goat barn. The floor was primed and painted. We use a dusting of wood shavings on the entire floor. One corner(the goats prefer to use this corner for most of their eliminations) has a heavy coating of shavings , topped off with hay.

We sweep the main part every couple of days & sweep the entire stall 2 or 3 times a week. The goats have a sleeping shelf - we put shavings on it & sweep every day.

I would use less shavings & clean more frequently.

5. dk_40207

dk_40207 Well-Known Member

Thank you thank you! Hubby was worried about urine keeping the floor soaked, and we thought we needed something to absorb it.. Prime/paint is a great idea..lot easier to clean out. WE'll see what we can do:)

6. Earthbound

Earthbound Well-Known Member

I use straw to bed, but put a tarp down under it, so it catches any urine from soaking through and when your ready to clean it out, you just pull the tarp out and saves a tonne of shoveling.
    corry

7. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

I made a removable cedar floor for my goat shed, and use shavings for bedding. They build up, and I clean them out every 3 or 4 months. The cedar floor has little gaps which helps with drainage, and since the floor is off the dirt below, the dirt doesn't get compacted and is more able to absorb any urine that does get through the shavings. I'd already dealt with the slimy, toxic mess that builds up on a compacted dirt floor and wanted to try something different. It's been two years so far, and no signs of rot. I imagine I'll get some at some point, but I made the floor so the boards will be easy to replace when the time comes.