Bedding question

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Firefly, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Firefly

Firefly Well-Known Member

I'm making the kids a shelter of T-posts with a tarp. What is the best way to attach the tarp? Will zip ties or rubber band around the top hold in heavy wind? Maybe nothing will. Anyway, I have a pallet big enough for both of them to sleep on. Should I put it in their sleeping area? They now sleep on the ground but I am thinking it would be cooler in summer with air circulation underneath; it can get quite hot here, 100* days and 80* nights. Also to keep them dryer, although they now sleep on the ground and seem to love it. The slats are 1x4's and the spaces are 3.5". Of course I worry about them getting their little toes caught! :rolleyes:

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Sleeping on the ground will be cooler for them than on skids. Unless the skids have soild tops they would be dangerous to their legs. They need full shade all day. If they weigh very much, a mud hole for them to wallow in helps cool them. They don't sweat, and having a way for them to get wet helpes greatly in keeping them from overheating. I don't know what you are doing to hold the tarp. but duct tape and baling wire will fix almost anything. LOL

3. Firefly

Firefly Well-Known Member

LOL that is so true about the tape and wire! The tarp is mostly for extra shade. They will have a wallow and a sprinkler so they should be happy. Although if we see any sun for longer than 2 hours a week I'll be shocked! :grump: Thanks Uncle Will!

4. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

In complete agreement with Uncle Will. Dirt is best, a wallow is even better.
    Our hog shade is 4 T-Posts, a cheap blue tarp. We have wood 1X2 sticks wired to T-Posts on 2 sides, tie tarp to these strips with orange plastic baler twine. May not last long as Boar is using T-Post for scratching his back.