Bed stones? warming stones?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by minnikin1, Jun 12, 2004.

1. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

OK, so what is the term for the stone that you heat on the wood stove and put in the bed?

And who knows what kind of stone to use? And how to protect the linens from getting "toasted" and burned?

We just moved from Florida to this new place where even in JUNE you need auxillary heat when the sun isn't shining !!!
    (-- how could a Floridian even fathom THAT!?? --)

This morning it was so chilly that after I let the dogs out, I went BACK to bed.
    And the sheets had gone cold in that short amount of time...

All I could do was lie there and wonder about how nice a steaming hot rock would feel under my "icicles" - er, I mean "feet". :haha:

2. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

I recommend a hot water bottle. They still sell them and they are very easy to use. They are also more cuddly and less likely to overheat than a stone or a brick. And you can control the hot water going into one.

Hang in there....you'll get used to the weather. What temp is it that is making you feel cold in the mornings now anyhow?

3. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Umm... all I can think of is the old antique things that look like long handled brass butlers, or popcorn poppers for a fireplace... called:
    BEDWARMERS.

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

You do know that us northerners all wear long thermal knit underwear and wool socks to bed don't you?

5. We used to use the old flat irons that were used for ironing clothes. Heated them, wrapped them in some thick, heavy cloth and tucked them in to rested our feet against them. They held heat for a long time. I'm sure that you don't have flat irons, so just go with a nice scrubbed stone.

6. pumpkinlady

pumpkinlady Well-Known Member

Buy an electric blanket, I love getting into a warm bed when it is cold out. Before I had an electric blanket I used a rice bag. They are easy to make. Just sew a bag (made with material) with rice (long grain) in it. Then microwave for 3 minutes. Throw in between the sheets and presto in a few minutes your bed is toasty! You don't have to worry about your sheets catching on fire either.

7. RAC

RAC Guest

Microwave a couple of socks or flat "package" (made of cloth) of dry rice for a couple of minutes. At least you won't have a wet bed in case of a leak!

Another option is using the reuseable gel packs.

8. missyinohio

missyinohio Well-Known Member

Years ago in England I bought an original "hot water bottle". It was made out of a glazed pottery, about 12" x 4" x 4" and shaped like a quonset hut with a screw in stopper on the top. Filled with hot water it did the job nicely.

And something else that is nice to use is an electric mattress pad. The best ones are set up to have less heat towards your head, and more toward your feet. I would turn it on about 15 minutes before I would go to bed, and then turn it off when I crawled in. If you had one, you could turn it back on when you got out of bed to let the dog out, and when you come back the bed will be toasty warm again!

9. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Flat river rocks are good if you have a woodstove and no electricity. Kinda hard to cuddle with but will warm your feet. Just keep several on the stove all the time and wrap with a thick towel before using.

10. daeve

daeve Well-Known Member

Bricks also work rather well. Heat in the oven or on heater, wrap in a towel, place in bed and toast toes...

HTH
    Dave

11. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

thank you all so much for your replies...
    We prefer to adjust to this chilliness to living in that suffocating FL
    weather, but it will take some to get used to it, I suppose.

The next warm day that comes along will find me searching for a good stone...
    Thanks again fo the tips...

12. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

I like to wear heavy socks sold in the sporting goods dept. You know the ones for hunting? We used to have "football socks" from dh's days on the team in high school, but finally wore them thin. And don't forget the benefits of a loving house pet cuddled at your feet. My 70 lb 'lap dog" always seems to know when when mom and dad need some extra warmth in the middle of the night.

13. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

Ditto on the rice bag. My wife uses and highly recommends.

14. littlelad

littlelad given to fly

And you can even have a dog or two lie on the bed for awhile before bedtime, so that it is already warm and snug when you get in.
    Why want a "warming stone" when you can have a warming dog... ? ;o)
    Be prepared that the dogs might insist on heating up your bed on hot summer nights as well though! ;o)

15. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

Where do you think the expression 3 dog night came from!!
    BTW, Minikin, Grandfatherbear said he was never as cold- even in Russia at -40 degrees- than he was the year he lived in a houseboat on the St Johns River here in Florida near Daytona. Something about the damp and the ocean breeze sweeping all the way down the St Johns from Jacksonville.
    When I go snow camping with dear grandson, we wear Polartec or angora bed socks, non cotton underwear- preferably silk underlayer (www.wintersilks.com or check sierratradingpost.com or campmor.com) and angora or polarfleece outerwear. Also wear a knit cap to bed! Remember the Night before Xmas? And Mama in her nightgown, and I in my cap.....Thats one of the most important ways to minimize heat loss.
    You have no idea how much I kinda envy you right now- I am preparing for my usual "mind over matter" treatment of the South Florida blistering heat- laying in as much reading material on Arctic and Antarctic exploration I can!!

16. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

At the risk of grossing out some of our readers, I can't begin to sing the accolades of doggie armpit for warming the feet on a cold winter night. Of course Taz (Our husky) sleeps on top of the covers but he does keep the footsies warm.

Mike

17. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

We've got a 'blanket with a brain'. It's a lifesaver. You set the blanket, and it keeps you warm enough. You shouldn't be able to FEEL the heat, because it is supposed to just heat enough that you feel cozy. It also heats in three different regions, so if your feet are colder than your trunk, it will compensate.

18. farmmaid

farmmaid Well-Known Member Supporter

The stones with a bail handle are called "soap stones". You place then on the wood stove for a couple of hours, wrap them in a towel (they are Hot) and place them in your bed. They will still be warm in the morning. When I go to my cabin in the winter I use 2, one where my feet go and the other where the trunk of my boby will be...GREAT...Joan :)

19. quietstar

quietstar Well-Known Member

A hot, clean brick wrapped in an old towel will warm the coldest toes. Best way to keep toes and fingers warm on a NY night is a nite cap. Any knit pull on will work because a warm brain will send warm blood to all parts. Good sleeping....Glen

20. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

It's really not a good idea to use river stones or any rock from a water source. There may be/usually are microscopic drops of water in the stone which when the stone is heated will explode the stone. Not fun and very dangerous. Most smooth stones are smooth because of water action. Hot water bottle is your best and safest bet. I use dto use 2 liter pop bottles, tighten the screw top with pliers and no leaks. The tip about night caps is valid. Humans loose 90% of body heat through the top of the head - a cover will cut down that loss and amazingly enough keep your feet warmer.